Sign in to follow this  
ChrisFL

Authorized User Reporting - Does the entire history report?

I'm curious as to how an entry will report when added as an Authorized User. Will it:

A) Report the whole history of the card. If the card was opened in 2000 and I get added today, will it report the whole history from 2000 until now?

B) Report as of now. Tradeline is opened in 2000, yet it starts reporting as of now. 6 months from now, I would have 6 months of history.

C) Neither, Sort of, Kinda, Maybe or some combination of the aforementioned.

I'm trying to get a mortgage (investment, 100%) and while my scores are good enough, my broker says I don't have enough "depth" (read: history). If I could get some instant history(oxymoron?), I'd be golden... am I asking for too much? ;)

A) Report the whole history of the card. If the card was opened in 2000 and I get added today, will it report the whole history from 2000 until now?

A

I would go older on the card if you can(10,15, even 20 years). CAUTION-careful as to not have more than 30% used on the card for optimal benefits and not hurt you. Also, you should make sure that they aren't counting it toward your debt-to-income ratio(As being an AU shouldn't count towards it).

I added my DW to one of my cards and it added all the history. You can see the nice jump in scores in my sig because of it too.

Is A always the case?

I was talking today with a friend of mine, he showed me his CR where he was added as an AU on his wife's card (citi i think?) and it only reported from the day he was added.

A

I would go older on the card if you can(10,15, even 20 years). CAUTION-careful as to not have more than 30% used on the card for optimal benefits and not hurt you. Also, you should make sure that they aren't counting it toward your debt-to-income ratio(As being an AU shouldn't count towards it).

I'm pretty sure it affected my debt-to-income. My utilization on the cards (wife's) is way too high currently (85% or greater) but they're all low limit cards. They'll be completely paid off in a month or two and will only be used sporadically afterwards. So it'll continue to count towards DTI for me, but the amounts won't hurt me. One of the benefits of having less than stellar credit for a few years is my DTI is low since no one gave me credit.

:)

Is A always the case?

I was talking today with a friend of mine, he showed me his CR where he was added as an AU on his wife's card (citi i think?) and it only reported from the day he was added.

It is not always the case. Treat each OC differently on how and if they report.

Is A always the case?

It is not always the case. Treat each OC differently on how and if they report.

Good point on the if!

Make sure they'll report before getting added.

And avoid letting them do an inquiry on you when you get added.

Absolutely!

If they put an inquiry on your report, it means they probably made you joint on the account.

You have to be SURE that the rep you speak with (or write to) knows the difference between an AU and joint - they're always more than happy to put another name on the account who'll be responsible in the event of default.

I know this is an old topic, but since I just pulled my own CRs for the first time ever (my other posts have been about DH's), I'm a little confused.

I've been joint on very few things in our marriage, due to getting burned by my ex. Just about everything has been in DH's name.

I assumed that meant my credit was safe. We paid off everything that was bad on DH's except the things I've posted about, brought his score from the 490 to TU628, EXP 609, and EQ 657 in the past year and a half (prior to finding these awesome forums, I hope to have it in the 700s very quickly now that I have found them).

Well, my credit wasn't safe, I had no idea authorized users were reported and got dinged. All the things we paid off on DH's CRs, and that have either been removed or at least reflect paid now........they're on mine, and reporting as unpaid, in collections, etc.

I know to start out with disputes and DVs, but how is it that AUs get dinged if they aren't jointly responsible??? If there is some place that explains this, please point me in that direction and I will read all night again. I'm not having a heck of a lot of luck with the search function for it :?

I would first dispute them on your credit reports. I added my fiance as an AU on some credit cards a long time ago and when they became negative TLs we disputed them and they came off. I'm assuming because he (as an AU) never signed anything, that disputing the TLs as "not mine" is technically correct and therefore easy to dispute and correct on a CR.