State Tax Lien -

How long does a state tax lien remain on you CR? Is it 7 yrs. DH has 2 tax liens from 1996 and 1997. They were both paid, back in 2000. However they are only on TU. In fact one still shows as outstanding and to get our mortgage last year I had to get proof from the state that it was paid, which they sent to me.

Thanks,

I had 2 tax liens (one State and one Federal) from 1996 and one from 1999. I called the courthouse where the liens were filed (found on my credit report) and asked for information. I did have to pay $1.00 to each courthouse for certified copies of the lien and the release.

Once I had those in my hands, I sent a very nice letter along with a COPY of the release to each CRA (CMRRR) reporting it asking them to delete the entries.

Within a matter of days, both entries were deleted. It had been well over 7 years on one but the other one wasn't. I should also mention that both liens were satisified a month after they were filed.

Of course, the guys trolling the courthouse didn't get THAT information. Pfft!

:twisted:

Get certified copies of the release and send copies of them CMRRR along with a letter asking the CRA to delete the entries. See what happens

Within a matter of days, both entries were deleted. It had been well over 7 years on one but the other one wasn't. I should also mention that both liens were satisified a month after they were filed.

Cool!!!!!!!!

In fact, I was a bit surprised that I got a few negative items removed so easily like that. If you got the "official" supporting documentation to back it up, then it is a snap... (most of the time...)

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if a tax lien will show up on a CR if the property owner is deceased?

Trying to decide if I should pay off a tax lien that is about to go to foreclosure in days. There are 4 CA's looking to settle CC debt.

My intention would be to hold the property long enough to either have enough to pay off the debt AND make a profit, or hold it long enough so the CAs stop trying to collect- after the SOL runs out. -thats a long way off though.

If i pay off the lien and the CAs immediately jump on the property- I can't pay them off, or maybe just barely if it's sold now.