Sign in to follow this  
candyman826

RPM has me steamed

They have reaged the third old, out of sol collection account on me since 12/05. I simply distputed the first 2 and the cra's promptly deleted. But now the 3rd isn't on my report yet but a hard inquiry from rpm. I called and was told it is for an old citgo card for $260. They claim dola is 9/2000 , when it was 1/98.

I am not worried about getting the listings deleted as i have the proof I might need. But its the inquiry that chaps my a##. What can I do to nail this scum? I want the Inquiry removed.

They can hit you for hard inquirys because they are attempting to collect a debt. Nothing you can do about it as far as I know. I know a guy that gets hit once a month for an out of sol debt that dropped off his credit years ago.

May be just pay them the 260 dollars if the account was infact yours. Nothing wrong with paying your debts and you wouldn't have to worry about losing a few points a month to those momos.

They can hit you for hard inquirys because they are attempting to collect a debt. Nothing you can do about it as far as I know. I know a guy that gets hit once a month for an out of sol debt that dropped off his credit years ago.

May be just pay them the 260 dollars if the account was infact yours. Nothing wrong with paying your debts and you wouldn't have to worry about losing a few points a month to those momos.

Must be a collector.....

yeah thats the 1st encouragement to pay a 9 year old bogus debt I :?: have ever seen, or have I not read enough?

Must be a collector.....

Haha no I am in the Air force actually. About to head off to Osan, AFB Korea!

I believe people have a moral obligation to pay THEIR debts. Its this silly little thing called personal responsibility my parents taught me when I was young.

If you hit bad times, it happens. Very understandable I have been there myself, but I went and paid off my collections. Yes even the out of SOL ones because they were infact my debts. My wife got cancer and had to quit her job, so we fell really behind. I was an E-3 at the time my pay was like 1700 a month, she was pulling in nearly 5k a month before she had to quit. In 2001 I had the courage to check our credit reports. We had 9 or 10 collections on each. So, I got a second job delivering pizzas while I was stationed in Hawaii. Paid off everyone of those bad boys.

Guess how many I have showing on my report as of today.... One

I could of not paid them and still probably have 9 or 10 collections on my credit report today, but I prefer my method better.

In my experience CAs tend to not verify paid collections. Yet an unpaid collection can be a pain in your side for a long time. Is it worth the 260.00 to you?

If you got three violations, then sue them. I am sure that will put an end to the hard inquiry pulls.

When you said you know the dola on the debt is 1998, It sounds like its really your debt. I don't believe any ligit debt is "bogus debt" sorry.

If the debt wasn't yours then I misspoke. Don't pay it, but that doesn't change the fact that the collection agency is pulling hard inqs "trying to collect a debt" and they are in fact allowed to do that. You should of proven lthe debt wasnt yours to the cas long ago and you wouldnt be having this problem.

And yes I would encourage everyone to pay their debts no matter how old they are. If the debt is your why wouldnt you pay it?

If you got three violations, then sue them. I am sure that will put an end to the hard inquiry pulls.

When you said you know the dola on the debt is 1998, It sounds like its really your debt. I don't believe any ligit debt is "bogus debt" sorry.

If the debt wasn't yours then I misspoke. Don't pay it, but that doesn't change the fact that the collection agency is pulling hard inqs "trying to collect a debt" and they are in fact allowed to do that. You should of proven lthe debt wasnt yours to the cas long ago and you wouldnt be having this problem.

And yes I would encourage everyone to pay their debts no matter how old they are. If the debt is your why wouldnt you pay it?

Fitz,

I appreciate your comments. Maybe he can sue the collectors over their violations of the law (I also believe in personal and moral obligations to follow the law, as well as debts) and use the money (if it is his) to pay them.

But there's no need to get all insulting in this. Saying "if it's your debt, then pay it" is not helpful, as it states the obvious and is a put down. The real question here is if the collectors are playing by the lawful rules - and that's the question that was asked.

But there's no need to get all insulting in this. Saying "if it's your debt, then pay it" is not helpful, as it states the obvious and is a put down. The real question here is if the collectors are playing by the lawful rules - and that's the question that was asked.

I wasnt trying to be insulting, I was actually asking a sincere questiong "If its your debt why wouldnt you pay it?" I am very curious as to why someone would put themselves through all the trouble with the collectors, rather than just pay a debt they know is theirs. (If they can afford to do that.)

I am all about making CAs follow the rules and nailing them to the wall if they do not. Thats why I told him to go and sue if he had the violations. Though, as much as I don't like shady CAs, I dislike people who do not pay their debts aswell. If that opinion isnt welcomed on this board I have no problem not posting anymore.

I wasnt trying to be insulting, I was actually asking a sincere questiong "If its your debt why wouldnt you pay it?" I am very curious as to why someone would put themselves through all the trouble with the collectors, rather than just pay a debt they know is theirs. (If they can afford to do that.)

I am all about making CAs follow the rules and nailing them to the wall if they do not. Thats why I told him to go and sue if he had the violations. Though, as much as I don't like shady CAs, I dislike people who do not pay their debts aswell. If that opinion isnt welcomed on this board I have no problem not posting anymore.

Regardless of whether the debt was truly the OP's or not, you still miss the point. RPM has already demonstrated that they do not operate by the rules by reaging the OP's account. Why on earth should he pay them anything since he has proof that they owe him money for their flagrant violation of the law? Considerably more, in fact, than the uncollectible $260 they claim (with no proof whatsoever) that he owes them.

Moreover, as other posters have already noted, your statement that he can't do anything about the inquiries was incorrect anyway. And advising someone to pay a CA is more poor advice, not just because the debt is uncollectible but also because it encourages them in their outrageous and illegal tactics, thereby harming both the individual debtor's rights and those of any other unsuspecting and less well-informed consumer they get the claws into. Hence the conclusion that you are yourself a collector.

And again, the ethics of paying debts is not at issue here. This board is about consumer protection, not consumer obligation.

Johnransom you are right, paying the debt would encourage the activities of the CA. In the big picture it probably was poor advice to tell the OP to pay.

I was looking at it in a more narrow sense; if the debt was his, for what ever reason he couldnt pay, and now its still haunting him. I personally would have just paid it and end the bs. $260.00 wouldnt be worth the lost points to me.

There should really be some more of a distinct difference in types of inquires. Hard inqs should only be for new credit. Soft should be for everything else imo.

they pulled from transunion, they told me the account came from pallanino receivables, i overheard a "manager" tell the person i was talking to when a "customer" calls on these pallanino accounts that are this old, they should be deleted.

Well I don't know or it was cause of the fraud alert, b***, or casue I called and raised hell with transunion, but the hard pull rpm did on my report is now gone. Small victory, but sweet.