Sign in to follow this  
ChrisFL

Mortgage company pulled my credit... and now I want a copy!

How do I go about doing this? I'm not on good terms with the mortgage broker any more (for various reasons), but I'd like a copy of my report which he showed me... but never gave me a copy of.

The actual inquiry on my report is listed under CBC Companies/New Century. I want to write to them and tell them to give me a copy of the report. Is this the right way to go?

Also, what should I say? I started writing a letter, and it basically said that I want a copy of my report and I'm entitled to it by law. Any input is appreciated.

Actually I believe that they are not required to give you a copy. Though most brokers are willing to give you a copy. I have heard its actually illegal for credit pullers to give you a copy. I highly doubt it is illegal though it may be against their agreements with the CRAs. But If you ask your broker directly, I think that would be best. As if you get management involvement you might get the blanket response.

Since FACTA, many brokers are providing a copy of the report they pull as a courtesy. It is not, nor has it ever been, illegal for a re-seller of credit information to provide reports. It used to be a violation of their contractual agreement with the 3rd party vendors.

Credit reports are akin to x-rays. The information is yours (about you) and you are definitely entitled to it, but the business who obtains the data incurs expenses, like paper, electricity and charges for the service.

The FCRA says that consumers are entitled to the information in Section 607©..."Disclosure of consumer reports by users allowed. A consumer reporting agency may not prohibit a user of a consumer report...from disclosing the contents of the report to the consumer..."

If the broker merely parrots back the old line about this being "illegal', you can try quoting the law directly and seeing if that will make him come around. Since the statute goes on to specify "adverse action" though, you make want to let the issue die if he chooses not to comply.

Oh well. I should've hounded them about it when I had the chance, now I'd much rather just let it die.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.