Informing collector when to call..

txsquirrel

My husband has a collector calling almost daily to talk to him. The same guy calls every morning and I always tell him that my husband will be in after 3pm and to talk to him then. But of coarse they don't call him then. I was reading the FDCPA section and noticed that it said "a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt --- at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer."

Are they just calling so many people that they can't keep them straight , or are they just trying to get to him through me? Isn't this some sort of violation of the law? Thanks

Most CA either work with an "auto dialer" or from a list. Either way, they start at the top in the morning and work through it during the day.

Yes...it probably is a violation of the FDCPA to continue to call after you've told them when your husband will be home...but, by itself, its not enough to sue over.

What you should do, I think, is get a name and phone number and then look up the address...send them a DV letter with a "all contact should be by mail" line in it...

What yov've told them over the phone means absolutely nothing.

You are operating from a misconception that the person calling you is a thinking, rational, truthful human being...he/she isn't so stop treating them like they are as you are wasting your time doing so.

You have no obligation to talk to these people at all and I'd recomend that you not talk to them on the phone EVER. However, if your husband is willing to talk to them or you feel that you should, I certainly wouldn't do so more than once or twice a month.

Send them a letter, CMMMR and tell them how/when you are willing to talk to them. Don't expect them to pay any attention...they'll call whenever their script/schedule/usual business practices tells them to call...it will be up to your husband to talk to them only when HE has decided he is willing to do so and it will be up to you to NOT ANSWER THE PHONE when they call at times your husband has told them not to call.

What I'm trying to say is that while there is little you can do to MAKE them abide by your wishes but you and your husband have 100% control over when you will and will not talk to these people by simply deciding when to answer and not answer their calls.