bank account frozen?

In my state if you have a judgement against someone (I am in NC) you can not put a lien on the house if a spouse or other person is on the deed (for example a judgement against me can not affect my home since my ex-to-be is still on the deed)..

I was wondering what about joint bank accounts.. if the judgement is only mine can they touch a bank account that is joint or just in his name only.

or if the account is just a single account even though you are legally married (for example can they get into my ex-to bes account if the judgement is in my name only)..

we still have a joint and each have a single while things are being divided.. can anyone shed light on this.. thanks! But I am worried about the joint account thanks!

I have looked at every resource I have and can't find this info..

In my state if you have a judgement against someone (I am in NC) you can not put a lien on the house if a spouse or other person is on the deed (for example a judgement against me can not affect my home since my ex-to-be is still on the deed)..

Is this judgement in NC?

I was wondering what about joint bank accounts.. if the judgement is only mine can they touch a bank account that is joint or just in his name only.

or if the account is just a single account even though you are legally married (for example can they get into my ex-to bes account if the judgement is in my name only)..

we still have a joint and each have a single while things are being divided.. can anyone shed light on this.. thanks! But I am worried about the joint account thanks!

I have looked at every resource I have and can't find this info..

In VA they would have to sue the other spouse before they can take any $. I think this is the same for NC but not sure.

No, it is not the same. If the judgment debtor's name is on that bank account, the money in it is fair game and they can take it ALL. It would then be up to the other part who's money was in the account to appeal the levy and show proof of how much in the account was NOT that of the judgment debtor.

thanks again LadyInRed.. I dont know what I would do without your information.. and you are right on the money (no pun intended) as usual.. the sherffs dept told me it depends on the bank but my bank after nine people and the right dept said exactly what you did... joint or not the money is fair game.. I appreicate we dont have garnishment in my state (NC)but then whats the point if they can drain the bank accounts anytime they like.. that makes me even more nervous..