divorce from husband, name still on car note/plz help

sxxx

Hello everyone,

I was an joint applicant on my husband car. We are divorce now, but of course it is still reporting. How do I remove my name from the note. His lates are ruining my report.

Thanks in advance.....

You don't. You can't.

There is no easy or arbitrary way to remove your name from a contractual liability. You can terminate it by paying in full or by refinance. But, even then, your name isn't removed. The liability simply ceases. The history of the account will remain. Creditors are not concerned about your marital status. Their only concern is getting re-paid. And, divorce decree's have no bearing on any other contract.

That's the hard and fast truth. So, now that you know, work within the system and see if you can work around the reality. Call the lender and sweet talk. Try a GW letter, bringing the account up to date, paying half of the remaining liability off in exchange for refinance in ex's name only, in other words, sweeten your request. But understand that they are totally within their rights to tell you to pound sand.