another bank account question (sorry)

can you elborate.. I clicked your link but it was your personal blog and I have no idea where to find that info if its there.. so some help on it would be appreciated.. who was the plaintiff.. amount, state you are in (I assume VA but not sure if that was the case at the time)

and bascially what happened.. did they do it more then once until it was paid.. were they willing to work out a payment plan first... etc.. .. thanks

Well, not sure what an "arbitration judgement" is but I do know that I got a default judgement from Cap one. Within 3 months......One day tried to use my bank card, was denied. Called, found out cap one took the amount due from my account.

Mind you I did NOT have 3 grand in my account so what it did was freeze it. Seriously into the negatives. It stayed that way until the court date. Which I fought and won. Another story in itself.

Anyway, they will without telling you, take and HOLD the monies until the court date for a garnishment. If you fight and win it will be released. If you lose they take it all or whatever you agree to in court. Either way, they WILL do it without telling you and they WILL hold it until the court date.

But they can only do this if they have already gotten a judgement against you.

The only way to stop a judgment creditor from siezing an account - don't have your name on it. If your name is not on the account, they can't touch it. A joint account with someone else affords NO protection either.

Other than that, there is no legal way to keep a judgment creditor away from an account that is legally yours. Even SS or disability funds are vulnerable, they can still levy the account and it would be up to you to prove that the funds are exempt.