Mortgage company stating they paid back taxes

Mrsrsfrey

I want to say thank you for all the info I have received off this site. I have been very busy fixing my husband's and my credit. But here is another topic. I have a friend that is being scammed by her mortgage company. Can she send a letter similar to a VOD to her mortgage company? Here's the reason I ask.. She pays her taxes seperate from her mortgage, and one day she gets a call from mortgage company saying they received a letter from the Tax Collector demanding $11342.00 in back taxes. So they (mortgage co) sends a check to the so called tax collector. My friend (Michele) calls her tax collector and asks about this mix up. The tax collector tells her that she did receive the check, called the mortgage company to explain that Michele didn't owe and back taxes and sent the check back to the mortgage company. Michele asked for a copy of the letter the Mortgage company received, she was faxed a letter that stated "So and so owes $11K in back taxes, signed Tax Collector." This letter was not on letter head, nor was the name of the tax collector on there. They also sent her a copy of the cashed check, but of course the back of the check couldn't be read of who signed it. The mortgage company says she owes this money or they will foreclose on her. Any advice would be helpful.

Mrsrsfrey

She needs to get the big guns in on this... She has to contact her consumer affairs office or the State Attorney General for her state and ask for help. A threat of foreclosure for a mortage company mistake is very serious.

She should go to her tax collectors office and respectfully demand a printout of the payments to her tax account. This will prove what amounts were deposited in her name and when. She will have to match up the payments with her cancelled checks to prove she paid the taxes not the mortgage company.

Once she has determined that there was no $11,342.00 dollar deposit into her account, she needs to send a CMRRR letter to the president of the mortage company demanding a correction of their error. Send a copy CMRRR to the State's attorney's office.

This is very serious, PHONE calls mean NOTHING! This has to be done in writing or she will find herself in court before she can spell "bad mortgage company."

"Been there - done that and bought the t-shirt...

and Don't need to do it again."