Pay off/Delete or Fight (DV)

Overthehill

Hi,

I am very new to this forum, and spent sometime reviewing previous postings, and I am very impressed by the wealth of information here.

I need some guidance re appropriate repair strategies to take. Here is a summary of my situation. I have the following debts in collections since January 2006:

1. NCO Financial (overdrawn bank account, $232)

2. OSI Collections (Gas Utilities, $628)

3. OSI Collections (Overdue state taxes, $454)

4. CBE Group (Cable TV, $84)

5. CPA (HighSpeed Internet, $132)

6. Berks Credit Corp (Doctors Office, $221)

7. Credit Corp (Lapsed Insurance Penalty, $200)

All of the above CRAs have written to me. I was about to start calling them back to make arrangements to make installment payments on the debt when i chanced on this site. I am thinking of either

(a) writting a payoff & delete request to them, and negotiate the best i can get (e.g, either deleted or rated as "Paid" only)

OR

(B) DV them: essentially, this means i will have to write them to verify the debt. But i'm not sure if it is too late, since most of them wrote to me, and gave me the chance to verify/dispute within 30 days (the standard paragraph in almost all CA letter) and I let that lapse without writing to them, hence I'm not sure if it too late to DV them. Is it?

OR

© Dispute debts with CRA. But how do I dispute such debts (most of them were services that I actually signed for).

I would be very grateful for your input.

sincerely, OTH

never too late to dv , it's federal right. But since they're recent they will prove it . maybe negotiate but the amounts are too small for them to come after you in court. make sure settlements dont stress you financially . unless you have made final arrangements d is still an option

Pay the taxes immediatly

Wheter you signed for them or not doesn't matter :) If they don't have proper documentation, then they cannot hold you accountable. If they really wanted your money that bad, don't you think they would have something in place to retain documents? Hmmm, guess not. I would dispute them through the CRA's first.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

Read that if you haven't, good info there. Do a search on here for the flow chart that shows step by step what to do. It cannot hurt to fight it in the beginning. If it comes down to it, settle with them. You never know till you try. ;)

Good luck!

Jason

Thanks for your responses..

Ineedadvice: what does "d" refer to?

Secondly, itt does appear that a debt could still be reported to CA but still held by OC...how do i find this out?

If it is still with the OC, then wouldn't it be better to send them a goodwill letter with an offer to settle, with conditional delete?

sincerely, OTH