Offer to settle??

Ok - I'm in the discovery phase of my suit with the lawyer.

I got a surprise phone call from him today offering to settle the account for about 35% of the balance, probably around 1k to go away.

I'm willing to settle - but I didn't say anything yet, because I'm fearing that if I agree to settle, that's an admittance of debt and then they can turn around and collect the full amount.

Ideas?

More time means they might not have anything - what did you ask for?

Are you sure you want to settle? The moment you offer, you are tipping your hand as being weak.

I asked for nothing. I have no counter claims.

I did ask for definitive proof in discovery. The lame Microsoft Word invoice they created with pretty clip art didn't fool me a bit.

As for being weak, I think its the other way around. I've caused this guy so much paperwork its not funny. He tried to outprocedure me so many times and each time I had a response, thanks to this board.

As for settling, yes, I'm sure. Quite frankly, this debt will still be within the SOL for another year, and who knows what'll happen - could be sold to another company, starting this process all over. I'd just rather settle, get it in writing that its to be deleted from my CR, DWP, not ever to be resold etc, etc.

I asked for nothing. I have no counter claims.

I did ask for definitive proof in discovery. The lame Microsoft Word invoice they created with pretty clip art didn't fool me a bit.

As for being weak, I think its the other way around. I've caused this guy so much paperwork its not funny. He tried to outprocedure me so many times and each time I had a response, thanks to this board.

As for settling, yes, I'm sure. Quite frankly, this debt will still be within the SOL for another year, and who knows what'll happen - could be sold to another company, starting this process all over. I'd just rather settle, get it in writing that its to be deleted from my CR, DWP, not ever to be resold etc, etc.

Fair enough. Your time is worth money.

• 3 weeks later...