settlement

YERPALAL

now i understand pennies on the dollar are paid for debt by the likes of unifund. am afraid they will go to the length of a sherrifs sale to get any of the 40k they say i owe them. can anyone reccomend how much to offer to settle?? i was thinking 10k making payments. but i dont know how low they will go

First off, do you actually owe that amount to someone?

If yes, do you know for sure that you owe it to Unifund, and not someone else?

If yes, how do you know you owe them this amount? Can they, or have they proven to you beyond reasonable doubt that you owe them this money?

oh yeah! i owe it all right made some bad decisions back in 2003 which is when most of the debt was incurred. it was passed on to a plethora of collection agencies before unifund bought all my debt and consolidated it. luckily pa has no wage attachment but it doesnt protect any asssets i may have

As I noted in your other post, they only paid maybe $.02 on the dollar. And, if your current state does not recognize their default, your best option is to send them an offer of settlement for $.10 on the dollar. They will usually counter at $.80, then you counter at $.25. You get the drift. Read your other thread on your questions as there is more detail there.