Why do collection agencies call so many times?

Melhunsifat

I have never quite understood the logic behind collection agency calls. I can understand calling once to speak to the debtor and find out what his intentions are about the debt, or to find out some information about employment or assets, if the debtor is dumb enough to tell them about those things, but after that, what is the point of calling repeatedly?

If the debtor is unable or unwilling to pay the debt, then will calling him on the phone repeatedly somehow magically make him able and willing to pay the debt?

If the collection agency makes the debtor angry, will that make them more likely or less likely to get paid? I would think it would make them less likely to get paid.

Now, I can understand, that if the debtor has a lot of assets or a good job, then maybe the fear of what the debt collector might do to him, might motivate him to pay up, but by virtue of the fact that he has delinquent accounts, it should lead one to the conclusion that he doesn't have a good job, nor any significant assets. It seems like they are literally trying to get blood out of a turnip. How do they stay in business?

And by now, I would think that almost any collection agency should be able to get on the computer and pretty much determine whether the debtor has any significant assets or a high paying, stable job. It would seem like it would be a better use of their resources to do a little bit of research and private investigation into the debtor's assets and employment before trying to collect a debt. They should focus their efforts on the debtors who have something to take or significant wages to garnish, and not bother with debtors who have very little to take, and who have minimum wage jobs that they don't really care about losing anyways.

Pretty much what DonHo said -- they call so many times to drive you crazy.. paying them will make the calls stop. So, by their 'logic', if they can drive you crazy enough to give in and pay them to make them go away - they win.

We must also realise that collectors are often assigned quotas mesured in contacts per hour. That paired with automatic dialers make calling Standard operating proseidure--and also somewhat explains why the consumers request to not be called is often difficult for an agency to stop. With many given collectors in a given agency assigned to collecting the same given account.

That and the fact that a phone is usually a collectors arena--where they are trained to let the consumer yack until they cough up damaging admissions or allow the collector to brow beat them with psychological pressure.

But the telling thing is that the probability of finding a credit aware consumer is still very low. So its a risks rewards gamble.

Until the penalities get higher or the probability of paying the risk forfeit gets higher, the calls are all too likely to continue.

But there are some up sides for the consumer--especially with a credit aware consumer and a phone recorder. But in my case, I was green as grass and not recording. Luckily I made no damaging admissions, and inside of a few minutes the collector showed such ignorance that I then knew this could not possibly be anything involved with me--something I did not know for certain until I talked with them.

But one other thing to remember--the collector is counting on you the consumer to be polite. Nothing wrong with being polite--but you can politely tell them you refuse to discuss this over the phone. --if they call back---say the same thing before they get two words out.

They keep calling and then it becomes harassement as you document things.

But that is always the problem of using a weapon--that weapon can be ripped away and used by the other party to blugion the original weapon weilder. After all, turn about is fair play.

In order to win (collect some money) a debt collectors must get you to act on emotion rather than logic. From the CA's point of view, the worst thing they can deal with is a logical person who is taking control of his/her finances.

A logical person will always do the basics first and pay on their debt only after those basics are taken care of...I can't tell you how many people I've personally worked with who were behind on their car payment, and their mortgate payment and had nothing in their fridge but were up to date with their CC payments or old debts! Think about it...what is more important; putting food on the table and a roof over your head or paying Visa or MasterCard???

Only by getting you to act on emotion (anger, shame, guilt, annoyance, fear, etc) can they convince you to pay them first before your actual needs are taken care of.

SOOOOOOOO...they call all the time both to annoy and anger by the calling alone as well as to work their "magic" should the debtor be foolish enough to actually engage them in conversation...once they get you on the phone they can play their psychological games with the debtor - they simply can't do that with written correspondence. :)

When an account comes into an CA, there are contractual requirements between the client and the CA as to how many attempts are made on the account during certain time periods. I worked student loans but I know when Citibank or Discover made a dump of accounts, the credit card collectors would struggle to get all the the required attempts and contacts in within the first 30 days. We would loose business or 1st placements if those requirements were not met!