fybpm

Authorized User

Ok so my grandparents agreed to go with the whole thing about adding me as an authorized user... I called a few of their cards to see which would allow it and NO good news so far unless I'm asking the wrong questions or talkin to the wrong people!

They have no lates and below 30% util on all cards, so adding to any would be good, but no luck!

EACH OF THESE COMPANIES/CARDS SAID THEY COULD ADD ME AS AN AUTHORIZED USER AND I WOULD GET A CARD AND SEMI-CONTROL OVER THE ACCOUNT, BUT NO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OR CREDIT REPORTING?!

Wells Fargo Platinum Mastercard - They've had since 1990

Mervyns Premire - They have had since 1991

Target Visa - They have had since 1998

JC Penny - They have had since 1995

Does anyone know what companies DO and DO NOT report tradelines for authorized users???

They also have an American Express that they have had since 2002 but I didnt call on that one because I have an AmexPlatinum myself but I didnt think they've had it long enough for it to be that big of a positive to my score.

Any suggestions in working with the 4 cards that they do have? Is there anything specific i have to say or do to get them to report it or do some companies just not comply?

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think they could let you be an authorized user and NOT report it. Companies who report accounts have to report accurate information. I would try searching this site and Google.

Well see that is what I'm running into. They are all willing to add me as an authorized user so I can use a card and not be responsible for credit or billing.

BUT that is what i WANT! I want them to take my name, social security number and report the tradeline to my account in order to boost my FICO.

Anyone know which companies specifically will do this and report the tradeline?

You call them and ask them. You don't need to ask for others to help you with that. You have the names of their credit companies already.

Then you ask them what CRA's they report to.

Then you make sure they understand the difference between an AU and Joint Account. Some will try to sign you Joint on the account (that way they have two people to go after if things take a turn). You definately don't want that.

Well I was told that there can only be one joint account holder for each card and my grandparents both share each of the cards. I was also told that if I get added to my grandmas target visa that i wont get credit for past account history, that the tradeline will start from the day I am added.

I dont know who to believe or what to do in order to get the existing card history to report...

It doesnt matter whether I become AU or joint... its on my grandparents accounts... they have 814 and 803 mid FICOs, there never will be any problems if it is a joint account...

I'm still not sure what to do... what should I try?

First, please stop asking questions and fighting the answers. :?

There IS a difference between joint and AU. It DOES matter even though it's your grandparents' accounts. As a joint user you are 100% liable for that debt - same as them. All you're looking for is the history. You get that by being an AU. You can't guarantee that everything will be taken care, and God forbid when they pass, their money gets tied up in probate. Guess who is responsible for the debt? YOU!

I'm telling you that most everyone here has said that if the company reports, they report the entire history. You're going to believe an entry-level $9 an hour phone operator over the thousands of members of this site who have posted what they've seen themselves first hand???

I suggested what you need to do. It's the same procedure for anyone who's ever wanted to become an AU. Nothing's changed.

If you don't believe me, there's a search button above. You can dig for the answers yourself if you'd like.

First, please stop asking questions and fighting the answers. :?

There IS a difference between joint and AU. It DOES matter even though it's your grandparents' accounts. As a joint user you are 100% liable for that debt - same as them. All you're looking for is the history. You get that by being an AU. You can't guarantee that everything will be taken care, and God forbid when they pass, their money gets tied up in probate. Guess who is responsible for the debt? YOU!

I'm telling you that most everyone here has said that if the company reports, they report the entire history. You're going to believe an entry-level $9 an hour phone operator over the thousands of members of this site who have posted what they've seen themselves first hand???

I suggested what you need to do. It's the same procedure for anyone who's ever wanted to become an AU. Nothing's changed.

If you don't believe me, there's a search button above. You can dig for the answers yourself if you'd like.

Doc is 100% right.

OK, here we go again....lol

I have been told by a particular CC company that they do NOT report AU's and that is why they never took my SSN. I became an "AU", have the card, and nothing.

I was told that I need to be added as a "secondary" user or "Joint" user. We all now know the difference between Joint user and Authorized user from the above posts. I had the status changed to "secondary" user and they sent paperwork to the home of the main card holder. I am to fill out the paperwork and send it back to them, including my SSN. This information is used to "verify" my address, SSN etc. so they know who I am.

Has anyone heard of this before? "secondary User"?

Regards,

Lyle

Why would you do it, then ask if anyone's heard of it? That makes no sense.

It means joint on the account, just like they said. Now you're equally liable for the entire balance on that card. If you were just looking for the history, you've just screwed yourself. It's not like the whole AU/Joint think hasn't been explained thoroughly enough on this site.

I know that Citibank allows it as I am an authorized user on someone's card. Also, Juniper Bank and Providian also allow it and encourage it. It means there is the potential for more use of the card with more card carriers. Not sure about the cards you listed. Do not become a secondary (joint) card holder. There is a credit check usually and you become liable for debts. Its not worth it.

Also, anytime you become an authorized user, you get the full history. I don't think they can separate out your experience with the account from the account's total history, so the entire account history is then on your reports. Its very nice.

Good luck

Doc,

I have read all the posts, REPEATEDLY, on this subject. I do apologize for misleading everyone and upon re-reading my post, I unserstand your frustration. Let me make this a little more clear. I AM an AU on anothers CC. I have found out that they do not report AU's. I was told that I need to become either a secondary user or joint user. I have Not filled out anything nor have I given my SSN to this CC.

My question should have been, Is a secondatry User the same as "joint user". :oops: