whats the holdup

i sent a account paid in full letter to experian from texco where i had a account in collections. Experian wrote me back and said they could not use the letter and they were going to contact texco themselves. The letter fully states that my account is now paid in full. Why couldnt experian just update my credit report

With my computer and programs, I can generate most any letter and make it look authentic. (Just about everyone can)

At least it sounds like the CRA is going to contact Texaco concerning this matter and the letter will be proven to be authentic.

Kat

i mailed the a copy of the letter should i have sent the orginal. Texco should have the copy that they sent me.

I think a copy is just fine. You should keep the original at all times. In any case if they wish they can contact the OC to confirm the letter.

You never know when you'll need that original to make copies of again.. Always keep it!

What if texco says that they never sent the letter and that i still owe the balance

Then you show Texco the letter they sent you and ask them to correct the problem. If it's on their own letterhead then they can assume that they sent you the letter. In any case you'll take it up to their management.

i sent a account paid in full letter to experian from texco where i had a account in collections. Experian wrote me back and said they could not use the letter and they were going to contact texco themselves. The letter fully states that my account is now paid in full. Why couldnt experian just update my credit report

Because you are not a "subscriber." The CRAs require companies to pay a fee to report information to them. If you send a copy of the letter asking them to update you are sidestepping their revenue.

There is only one way to handle this yourself and you have to do it by the numbers:

*Your letter has to be an FCRA dispute that the CRA is reporting inaccurate information.

*You have to state in the letter that you are executing your rights under the law for them to reinvestigate based on the information you have supplied.

*You have to state that they have 30 days to complete and correct their incorrect information.

*you have to send it by certified mail.

*You have to wait the full 30 days plus mailing time of about 5 days each way (40 total) for a response. Do not call for status or they will trigger a 15 day extension based on "new information from the consumer"

OR, if you are in a mortgage approval situation, have your broker do a "rapid rescore" for $60 or so.

i just got a response back from experian today. The account came back as verified. They said using the letter i sent them they contacted the oc and verified that i owed the collection account. how could they do that so fast. I received a letter from experian 5/22/05 saying they were going to investigate and contact the oc. Then today i received a letter from experian saying it was verified. Texco sent me a letter on there letter head saying my account has been paid in full. Is it a letter that i send experian now or do i get a lawyer. Even though texco sent me the letter in error. I actually have not paid it. Its there mistake and they need to honor it. I told them that i sent them cash and they in return sent me the paid in full letter. Im going to fight this