Duplicates due to lender company changing hands

ethernight

I had a credit card when I was younger that went past due many times. The credit card is now closed and paid off and there's nothing to do but wait for it to fall off my CR.

However, during the time that it was open, the lending company was bought by another company. The result is that now the account is being listed twice on my CR. This is obviously a problem as the account counts against my credit score twice, however I am unsure of how to handle the situation as the account itself is valid.

Who should I contact? The new company, or the CBs? When I contact them, what should I say?

I live in California, however both of the lending companies are in Pennsylvania.

Thank you for your time.

First, dispute with the credit bureaus (you'll have to have a file # with them - and have obtained a report - before they will talk to you). I would call them on the phone about this if I were you. If they don't take them off, then you'll need to deal with the OCs, and that will be difficult to get them to change anything on your files.

You will need to deal with both companies on this. Write to the first one via CMRRR and be firm; tell them that they are breaking federal consumer laws by keeping this on your file as a duplicate.

With the second company, I would write them the same thing, only be a lot nicer with them, and make it a "goodwill letter" by telling them a sob story (you were younger then, and now you really need the credit and your grandmother can't get her operation without it, or something to that effect...). And oh, by the way, they may be breaking federal laws by duplicating this tradeline....

Good luck and let us know what happens!