Question on Collection Debt...

SG78

I very recently paid off a collection debt that I did owe. I need some kind of confirmation from them that the debt has been paid so I can make sure this is accurately stated on my credit report, as I do not trust this agency to report it themselves. Should I immediately request some kind of confirmation or is it something I should give a reasonable amount of time on before I bug the company?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey...welcome aboard...we'll all help if we can.

And...sorry...if its a CA (a collection agency) you're talking about, you should have got something in writing BEFORE you sent money. Depending on who it is, and how much you paid, you'll be lucky if they report it as paid at all. CA's have been know to pocket the money (or at least a large chunk of it) and then, as far as the OC (original creditor) is concerned, you still owe.

At this point...wait. Keep all the letters and canceled checks. And see when or if changes appear on your CRs (credit reports). Sometimes CA's lose interest in reporting once they have your money. If whatever you paid did indeed satisfy the debt, you might be able to dispute it as "I never had an account with these people" (not mine) and they won't bother to verify it.

Thanks for the welcome and the response.

Yes, it was a collection agency. I'll check my reports over the next few months. To dispute that the account was not mine, if necessary, would I have to take that to the credit bureaus?