TransUnion - INDIA

Ok so I get a copy of my TU credit report and find US Bank reporting twice on the same debt. A debt that was disputed in 2003. (NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH US BANK.. You have been warned)

Any whoo, I tried to do the on line dispute thing but found that there was no way to "explain" what it is I needed to dispute. TU's on line dispute system SUCKS MAJOR a$$.

So I call the 1-800 number on my report. I follow the direction and am connected with some women with a thick Indian accent. I could hardly understand her.

I file the dispute and try to convey my arguement to her, but she no understand me. She listed it as a duplicate account, hopefully mentioning that I was successful in having the account REMOVED from the other two CRA's reports. (I'll bet she didn't)

As I hung up, I heard in the back ground another Indian women say, and I quote "Thank you for calling Qwest Customer Service."

W T F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the hell are the CRA's contracting to take calls? My God where is the security! I just gave my SS# to a women halfway around the world working for CALL INTAKE CENTER in INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INDIA! - This is just not acceptable! If they are a CALL CENTER, then they are NOT TransUnion! I just gave my personal information to a third party in another God Damned country.... WTF!

I had the same experience. I think its a major concern. All of our personal data is being shared in a foregin country without our knowledge, or security. I demanded a supervisor in the US, and was transferred. When I asked him where the previous call was taken and was it out of the country, he said "for security purposes we cannot divulge our location."

That begs the question, for whose security??? Theirs or my credit file?

Yes they outsource to Inda and other countries.

Why?

To evade some of the responsibility under the FCRA. Do you really think that a US citizen can sue in any US court a natural person or company of another country for violations of the FCRA? Nope.

The FACT Act gave the FTC the authority to establish guildelines that the CRAs must follow with relation to investigations. In those guidelines, the FTC mandated that the CRAs employ qualified investigators that have been trained to handle consumer resolutions. It is highly unlikely outsourced call centers qualify as such.

It's not int he FCRA law itself. It's a "rule" from the FTC. You can look it up in the Code of Federal Registry filings. The FTC was given the authority by Congress to set up regulations without further need to bother Congress with the details.

I wonder if you could actually use this against them? I mean how qualified are these account specilists if they aren't even from the US, and cannot even speak fluent english? (no offense)

You could make the arguement that they did not understand your position or could not understand the nature of your dispute. Also how do these people investigate a dispute? I mean afterall, they are in INDIA? I will bet that they simply forward the disputes to some office in INDO CHINA that handles all of the disputes and their SOP is simply mark all disputes as "verified - all information is correct and up to date."

This is simply unaccepteable. I am not calling about some problem with my phone or computer, its my credit and that is decidedly far more valueable than some computer and should be respected by the very companies that are charged with reporting it. This really needs to be brought to the attention of the news media...

Outsourcing is not exactly news, nor is the fact that TU reps are overseas.

Verification/investigation is done entirely by computer. Nobody calls the OC and asks questions, in fluent English or otherwise.

This just makes me shake my head. So who are the people running the computers that are used to verify, and I use that term loosely, information?

Oh this just keeps getting better and better. You call in a dispute to some person in India, they inturn enter the information into a computer then take a new call for Dell Support. The computer then "magically verifies" the information and now you have a nice new "verified" notation on your credit report that most creditors look at as a NEW negative account, even if its six years old. Hell it was just verified so it must be a recent account right?

Our credit information should remain in the US. CRA's should use US call centers so that in the event that something funky goes down, we can prosecute the SOB who is responsible, or sue them for damages. How do you sue some person in India when things go wrong? You sure as hell cannot sue the CRA as they are indemified (sp) by the fact that they outsourced their call center to an over seas company. "Its not our fault your personal information was used to buy guns for terrorists."

Outsourcing is not exactly news, nor is the fact that TU reps are overseas.

Verification/investigation is done entirely by computer. Nobody calls the OC and asks questions, in fluent English or otherwise.

Yes yes... this is common knowledge. As I have said before: The CRAs continue to flaunt the law because the few lawsuits they pay out damages on is still less expensive than hiring all the personnel it would take to be compliant with the law.

They outsource only because it's cheaper. And they do comply with regulations (albeit barely) by employing supervisors in the US that you can get transferred to if you ask. Every once in a while, I do get an American on the first try when I call TU.

But I have to say, the Americans at Experian have to be among the rudest, dumbest and most incompetent customer service reps I've ever dealt with. Being American doesn't necessarily make someone smart, friendly and competent. I personally don't care where someone is located or what their first language is--as long as we can understand each other, and they are courteous, helpful, knowledgeable and respectful.