Anybody know anything about Portfolio Recovery?

learlywine

If you DV, you're likely to get what they call an "Identity Theft Affidavit". they'll claim that since you are claiming fraud or identity theft (even if you didn't) that you need to fill this form out before they can proceed further with your investigation.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!!

Their form is nothing more than an interrogatory, sans lawsuit, that they will certainly try to hang you with.

That's what they sent me. The first time I DV'd, they mailed off a letter to me the following day that they received mine. I sent a 2nd DV letter, citing violations, and they haven't been as quick to respond to that one. It's now been 2 weeks. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Just received my "Identy Theft" form from Portfolio Recovery in response to my DV. I realize nobody has a crystal ball...but wouldn't it be a reasonable bet that if they could actually validate they would do so instead of blowing smoke like this?

It's pretty much a given with these guys.

Do they actually sue or do the farm it out to a lawyer.. I couldn't find anything about that on their website.. I have an account with them they keep wanting me to "settle on" which I wouldn't mind if they had not added 32% (NO KIDDING) intererest on the account..

I am in NC.. and wonder if they sue less here since they do not allow garnishment in this state.

If they say you owe a lot, they might sue. I really don't know enough about their habits in courts to give you an answer on that; sorry. But I will PM you my letter.

edit: oops, i don't have that. I only have a copy of the green card. But all I did was add a stern paragraph to the beginning of the standard DV letter, something about how asking me for an afidavit is NOT validation and they have to prove it to ME, not the other way around, per FDCPA, etc., and that someone in their office needed to take a second look at my letter and actually respond accordingly and not send me another form letter. I phrased it much better. Maybe I have a printout... nope, sorry.