Received letter from FEDERAL CREDIT CORP. Seems unusual

BKSinAZ

Received a collections letter from Federal Credit Corp. They are attempting to collect a debt. I gave them a call to ask some questions. They varified my identity by giving me the last four of my social security number. They informed me that the original debt is from Commercial Credit from the year of 1993 and that it was sold sometime later to bank one and then sold recently to federal credit corp.

I saved all credit reports from the year of 2000 from the big three credit reporting agencies and pulled them out. I went though them all and there is no account on any report for Commercial Credit or Bank one. The name of Commercial Credit does sound familar, but I cant remember what the debt is for or even if I paid it off completly.

They are threatening me to report to credit reporting agencies if I dont pay in 30 days.

I am not sure what to do.

It's probably way too old for them to do a thing. http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

Also search "ceast and desist" in the forum search. They can't report it, either, becasue it's more than 7 years old. Telling you that they will do it is a violation. If they do list the account that is a violation, too. Write down everything about this conversation you had with them, including date, time, what was said, phone number, name of collector, etc.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

Oh, and never talk to any collector on the phone. Do all communication in writing.