RMA and NCO - This happen to anyone else?

BigLaw

Last week I sent a DV to NCO for an alleged collection account placed with them by DirecTv. I have no recollection of the debt and the SOL ran long ago.

NCO immediately caved and sent me a letter indicating that they closed their file, referred it back to the OC, and contacted the CRA's to delete. They noted that they had no liability for any subsequent collections taken by other CA's or the OC.

Two days later, I get an alert fromTruCredit that RMA has placed a collection account for the same debt on my Experian report. (The one that is 5 pts from 700)

Here's the issue: Last year, NCO purchased RMA. I see all kinds of issues here. Anyone else?

RMA and NCO are the same, the reps had no qualms telling me about it on the phone. If you have a letter that says NCO closed and deleted the account, RMA relisting it is a major no-no. DV it again and include what has already happened. It should come off. You could email Mike Barrist or Lisa Signore and explain what happened, as per the NCO sticky. I had NCO and RMA accounts, supposedly, but they deleted them all just the same. It just took a bit longer for the RMA account because it's account # had been changed due to the sale.

I'm not so sure that RMA is precluded from listing the account even if NCO and RMA are essentially the same comany and no matter what NCO said.

NCO saying they closed the account is a meaningless statment - they can hand the account off to another CA across the street, across the country or five feet away.

That asid, NCO or anybody saying anything on the phone is meaningless as well.

I think your only logical step is to DV RMA (as you would any other subsequent CA).

Robert-

You are correct in saying that NCO's letter doesn't preclude DirecTv from reassigning to another CA. Here's the problem for NCO:

1. Instead of Validating, they elected to close the account.

2. RMA then reported it 2 days later.

3. In the eyes of the law, RMA is NCO. It doesn't matter what they call themselves. They have common ownership, they have common employees, common directors, and common officers. Under well settled principles of corporate law, they are one in the same.

4. By RMA reporting, they just attemted collection procedures during a dispute period, without validating the debt.

5. By acting in this matter they also attempted to deceive me that this was being removed in an attempt to stop me from exercising a right.

I did CMRR and e-mail a DV and cover letter to Lisa Signore & Michael Barrist, as I did the first time. I expect to hear from Lisa soon. My letter was cordial, but more threatening than the first.

well according to NCo's attorney lawfirm RMA does not even exist. NCO just purchased the accounts of RMA and then RMA went bankruptcy. I gave you these exact quotes.

"Actually, NCO purchased only the assets of RMA which

is the reason the company filed for bankruptcy after

the purchase."

"RMA is a bankrupt company. Your issue lies with

RMA. If your cease and desist letter was sent to

RMA [as you claim] then RMA failed to code the

account correctly when NCO purchased RMA. NCO is

not responsible for RMA's alleged oversights that

occurred prior to the sale. "

"NCO has reported that the request was faxed over to Trans Union and Equifax to have the inquiries removed from NCO and RMA today."

Well if RMA is bankruptcy and done then how can NCO removes RMA's inquiries? Hmmm very very suspicious.

Because NCO now owns what used to belong to RMA. It's really not that complicated. It would not be difficult to get rid of this account. Like I said, I was in your exact situation and they removed it. I guess you can go about things the harder way if you so choose.

well according to NCo's attorney lawfirm RMA does not even exist. NCO just purchased the accounts of RMA and then RMA went bankruptcy. I gave you these exact quotes.

"Actually, NCO purchased only the assets of RMA which

is the reason the company filed for bankruptcy after

the purchase."

"RMA is a bankrupt company. Your issue lies with

RMA. If your cease and desist letter was sent to

RMA [as you claim] then RMA failed to code the

account correctly when NCO purchased RMA. NCO is

not responsible for RMA's alleged oversights that

occurred prior to the sale. "

"NCO has reported that the request was faxed over to Trans Union and Equifax to have the inquiries removed from NCO and RMA today."

Well if RMA is bankruptcy and done then how can NCO removes RMA's inquiries? Hmmm very very suspicious.

That makes a lot more sense to me than sayign the RMA and NCO are the same comapny with common employees, etc....I was trying to figure out any possible advantage to anybody in such a situation and was coming up blank...if NCO simply purchased the assets of RMA (a common business practice) then this situatin makes a lot more sense.

It probably does also mean that the poster is dealing with simple incompetence and not an overt act meaning they will probably correct with minimal effort.

Just an update on the situation-

NCO was deleted from all three CRA's.

RMA has not been put on. Maybe the alert from Truecredit.com was incorrect, because I wnt on to experian to dispute and its not there.

My Fico Scores are now: EX - 712 EQ - 680 T/U 670

The EX score contains 1 collection account that should drop off this week, as the CA sent me a letter saying they had no info on this account and will delete it.

The EQ and TU scores include that same collection account plus another collection account for which I received letters 6 months ago from the CA and OC indicating the account was placed in error and would be deleted. These should drop off this week also.

When these do drop off, this site will have helped me go from scores in the low 600's to mid 700's in a matter of 2 weeks. This place is a great resource.

Tis true that they are in big trouble.

They just opened a HUGE Call center in Rockford, IL, and already are laying off many people...that's a fact.

A friend of mine who lives there actually works for them...and they are in serious problems...