Assett Acceptance wont budge now what?

stressedout2k5

Of course I want to start by saying how great this site is. I have had success using what I learned here and am still working to resolve the last couple.

Here is my issue I need help with. I have hit a dead end and dont really know what to do. I have 2 accounts being reported on my credit reports from Assett Aceptnace. They are both utilities from 2001. One is for $123 the other for $283. They never contacted me until this year. As soon as I got their letters I responded immediately asking for dv and the such. Instead of supplying it and complying with my letter saying all contact in writing, they proceeded to call me 19 times in 15 days. I documented each call but would not speak to them.

In Michigan, the sol on contracts is 6 years but only 4 years on UCC so these are out of sol. When I disputed them with the CRA and them, they turned around and changed the reporting to say :cannot find customer" so this would toll/stop the sol. The thing is I have lived at the same address foralmost the last 6 years and not movbd. they never contacted me or sent me any kind of letter. When I sent them a follow up since they didnt respond to my dv Ialso told them they were falsely reporting. They then updated the reports to add now customer found and chanegd the date to 2003 so these would be within the sol. The information they finally sent was for 3 months after I had moved out of my last apartment so I can only assume the old landlord didnt pay and then blamed it on me even though I was moved out and can prove it. I then sent AA a letter listing their violations saying they are blatanly responsible for their actions and if even found guilty of just one violation is $1000 not to mention time and lawyer having to rrepsond and the such. I gave them 21 days to remove and close account.

Well they didnt do anything. I even waited another month to dispute again witht he CRA and AA again verified the info even though they know it is wrong.

I need these removed from my reports but it isnt fair for me to pay for something that isnt mine as it is blackmail and they know it. On top of that they harassed the hell out of me. I know the easy thing to do is to pay it or some type af agreement but that isnt fair to me especially after what they knowningly did.

I need to know what I should do from here and really need help . Should I sue? Should I send a nother letter saying what I am going to do and if so to who? Anyone have any contact info ? I really need help . Thanks again.

Hello Stressout2K5, I'm dealing with AA right now and here is what I'm doing. I've tried to DV them twice and just sent out my 3rd DV attempt the other day. There first reply was a print-out and 2nd reply was nothing but them telling me to call them. Yea Right! Now when this one comes back un-validated, and I know it will. They also said they could not find me.

I will make copies of all 3 DV'ing replys from AA and copies of of all 3 of my request and file a complaint with my state and the state of MI, Attorney General's office, both, (find this info online)

I'm also going to file a complaint with the FTC, and the BBB of my state and the state of MI. I may also file a complaint with my Congressman about Asset Acceptance.

In my complaint I'm going to list the violations from AA, (that they have provided me with) Prove that they lied about not being able to find me, when all the while they were in contact with me by mail (just like there're doing you) list all my facts, and show copies of my evidence.

Also you what to make sure that in your attempt to get Validation that you mention to them to only contact you by U.S. Mail. (check partal C&D letters)Then keep records if they contact you by phone again or tape them calling you. (check your State laws on this before you record anything).

Also get a copy of the orig. credit report that shows the DOLA on these accounts. (you should have these) As this will come in handy to show that they are attempting to re-aged these accounts.

If you read the Business news are look-up Asset A LLC (they are on the open stock market) you will see that this company makes a great deal of money doing what they do. And they are notorious for not following the guidelines set forth by the FCRA and FDCPA. I have hear that the MI, AG office and the FTC are building a case against AA. So hopfully they will come down hard on AA for what they do to folks.

Well I hope this helps you and remember this is just somethings that I'm doing and have learned for these boards. Good luck, Foots

wow. it's incredible, they are doing the same thing to me, they listed me as not been able to find, reach person, now I sent them the first DV waiting for a response, then I will send a second, and then a third, I am looking into them not reporting in my CR that it's been disputed and also if they are mailing me letters, and they keep reporting that they haven't been able to reach me, isn't that another violation?

The entire process we have outlined here is designed to create a paper trail that you can take to court. Go through the FDCPA, the FCRA, and your state's laws and add up the violations. If you have a significant number, it is time to file suit.

Long story short:

Been served a summons, Asset wants to go to court. Most likely, the action was triggerred after I hired an atty myself and he sent a letter to them on my behalf. For now, at least 3 FDCPA violations were spotted by my atty based upon the paper trail I've provided.

This should be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Stressedout you said

I know the easy thing to do is to pay it or some type af agreement but that isnt fair to me especially after ...

It may be easy to get a money order and send it out --but even if you pay it will still be on your credit report. Also AA may not delete it after you pay or even fix the date....

It may be just as easy to send an ITS or get an attorney. Let them know you have the ability to level the playing field.