Classic CR $crew-up

Well, my friends, Here's a free chuckle! The following letter is edited for obvious reasons, but it's going out in the mail tomorrow. It's got all the details of a classic example of why you should check your credit reports often. Accuracy is something only you can protect! I was so proud the other day listening to my husband calmly tell a cr rep that he wanted this "screw-up corrected by noon today!", when she tried to tell him she'd look in to it and it would be 3-5 days before it went thru the computers... He told her "That would not be satisfactory and that our bank would be pulling our scores that afternoon and that information had better not be on there!" When I pulled Truecredit at noon the info was gone! Whoooeee! Is he good or what. So read the following letter and see what they did.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing today regarding the extremely stressful situation involving my receipt of three separate credit reports sent to me from your company between the dates of May 30, 2006 thru June 6, 2006.

On May 22, 2006, I disputed two federal tax liens that were on my public records. I explained that these liens had been released and that I was in the process of trying to secure a mortgage loan and that this no longer valid information was interfering with my ability to close on that loan. I faxed your company copies of the county filed federal forms titled “Withdrawal of Federal Tax Liens” related to those liens.

On May 30, 2006, your company sent me an updated copy of my cr report showing the liens had been satisfied/released. The Confirmation number on that report is XXXXXXXX.

On June 1, 2006, your company sent a second updated report showing that the tax lien information had been deleted from my cr file. The Confirmation number on that report is YYYYYYYYY. At that point, I was very pleased with the assistance of your company representatives.

However, on June 10, 2006, I received a third updated report which was dated June 5, 2006 (confirmation # ZZZZZZZZZ), showing that the lien information had been “verified” and it had been reinserted on my public records. I immediately went on-line to my credit monitoring service and saw that this information had indeed been reinserted on my public records.

This morning during several attempts to dispute this now very erroneous information, when I politely asked to speak to a supervisor I was hung up on, and then when attempting to reconnect with the dispute department or the legal department, I was routed to several voice mailboxes. At that point, to put it mildly, I was very frustrated. After at least four failed attempts to call in and speak with someone in authority, I was finally connected with a woman who said her name was “Red” and that she is the Supervisor for team # 4. I explained to her that my bank would be pulling my credit reports later this afternoon in preparation to closing on my loan. She agreed that the information should have been deleted per the documents I faxed on May 22, 2006, and that “there must have been an error made somewhere.” She assured me that the invalid lien information would be deleted from my file by noon today and gave me the confirmation # 000000000.

In addition to the unwarranted stress caused by the inaccurate reinsertion of this now invalid information, I lost several hours of work today in order to dispute this information again. I am a self-employed small business owner, and when I am not on the job my company looses money.

According to my understanding of the FCRA, it is a violation of my consumer rights for your company to report incorrect information. It is also a violation of my consumer rights for your company to reinsert information without notifying me prior to the reinsertion. I am sure you must be aware that I would be well within my rights to contact my attorney and pursue legal action against your company for these violations as well as the emotional distress caused by the reinsertion of invalid information at a critical point in the mortgage loan process. In addition, the rude behavior of the your representatives during my attempts to get the information removed a second time only compounded my stress.

Please be advised that with the series of reports that have been sent to me by your company over the last 10 days, as well as the documentation of my conversation with your Supervisor named “Red”, I have adequate proof to show that my consumer rights were indeed violated. However, if your company would care to tender a check for $1000.00 to compensate me for the violations of my consumer rights and my loss of valuable work time, I would consider this matter closed. In addition, this would also be considered compensation for my stress related to having to deal with a reporting issue that I had reason to believe was already taken care of, the discourteous behavior of your representatives this morning, and alleviating my very reasonable fear that this harmful information might be erroneously reinserted again at some future date.

I expect to have a reply to this request for compensation within 10 days of your receipt of this letter. I look forward to your reply.

:party: