Where do I begin

Veronak

Sorry about the long blog, but I do not know where to begin. I am trying to clean up my credit. My credit score with the big 3 are 610,595, & 543. I recently paid off 3 CC’s and a student loan so hopefully this will be changing. But my dilemma is I have a lot of old accounts on my reports that I would like to have removed and was wondering if this is a good idea.For starters my Capitol One account has been sold to another bank, should I ask that this be removed, I have never had any slow payments or late payments since this account was re-aged about 5 years ago. I also have another account from First Premier bank that was paid in full and I actually closed the account a while ago, should this be removed. There is a personal loan that I took out years ago but recently paid off, should this stay or go. Also I have an account with Verizon, which was sold to collections, but Verizon as well as the CA is reporting this on my credit report, Verizon shows a zero balance however. And there are 2 small bills there are no company names listed I think these are doctor bills. So if you guys can give me some insight I would really appreciate it

Welcome to the board. You've come to a very good place because there are alot of people on this board who have been what you're going through. So, my first piece of advice to you is to read this forum and the website as much as you can. One good post to start with is called "HOW TO BEGIN CREDIT REPAIR - A PRIMER." It's listed as a sticky at the top of the Credit Repair forum. This will give you a step-by-step plan to start your credit repair process.

Each forum also has stickies that address other types of credit issues. Also, at the top of the webpage are a bunch of links to other information on the website. I highly encourage you to click those links and read them thoroughly. Finally, another good post to read is the "Commonly Used Abbreviations" in the PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING section. This will help you understand what we're talking about.

The short answers to your questions: removing accounts from your credit reports depends on what type of accounts they are, and how poor the repayment history reports. In general, collections, judgments, and bankruptcies have the worst effect on your credit report and score, and IMO you should try the best you can to get those removed. OC accounts in general should stay on your report because they help your credit score. Sometimes, an account with a few lates that gets removed from your credit report will actually lower your score.