Cambece Law Firm called again....

learlywine

They have got an old Providian account of mine. I have been making payments on the acct, but my hubby lost his job. I put a stop payment on the May payment and wrote them a letter telling them I will pay the entire amount in July when he receives his profit sharing check. I also requested they not contact me via phone, but by mail only. This morning a guy called. I told him I was at work and would call him back. He said he needed to talk to me by 11:30 as "a decision would be made today." Now what?

I set up the payment plan so I could get the debt paid. I didn't know anything else to do as I just recently found this website. I do owe the debt and want to pay it. Should I contact Providian and try to finish paying them instead of Cambece? I just faxed to the guy who called this morning a copy of the letter & the cease comm letter I mailed out last week. I am not going to call them back.

Providian won't talk to you now that the scum at Cambece are involved.

As for their stupid deadline, ignore it, it's garbage, nothing but a pressure/scare tactic to make you cough up money you do not have.

If you can't pay them, you can't pay them. They can wait until you can although they will tell you they can't or won't . Do NOT talk to them on the phone, it's waste of time and energy. Turn off the ringer on your phones or just let them talk to an answering machine.

I get this all the time "call by 3 today a "decision will be made" (funny how they call back days later with the same threat)

they make you think a bunch of people are waiting for your call and if you dont make it your life will be destroyed.. I LOVE lady in red and as USUAl she is right on the money.. stay off the phone.. ignore them.. deal with it when you can.. its a collector trying to get commissions.. nothing will happen by 11:30

I had to respond to this thread because I too had dealings with the "Cambece wanna be's" concerning my husbands debt. I read this board until I couldn't see anymore...and learned how to deal with scumbags like them. I was willing to settle with them, we came to an agreeable amount, then they reneged on the deal and said they wanted more. I sent out a dv letter, and haven't heard from them since.

My experience was that they said I owed them. I am not in MA.

They called 15 times a day.

They said they "had the papers ready to fax to the courthouse for suit," lol

I DVd them

That was in 2003.

They havent replied since. No suit, no answer, not on CR.

I never signed any contract with them. It was a verbal agreement I guess. I told the woman I talked to that I would pay $300 a month untl I got it paid off. Every month they send me a letter stating that they are going to debit the amount from my checking account. This started in Aug. of '05. I haven't checked my CR's yet.

You are sooo right. I never even gave it a thought until I stumbled across this forum. I have learned so much here! I just know that I owe Providian and that Providian turned it over to Cambece, or Cambece "bought" it from Providian. Either way, I do owe the money to Providian, but I hate to pay the scum at Cambece. Boy, sure do wish I had known about this site sooner.

learlywine: You need to read up thoroughly on debt validation. There are links above and an entire forum here dedicated to it. You also need to pull your credit reports ASAP to see how the debt is reporting, if at all. Most likely Providian charged off the account and sold it to Cambece. Yes, you may owe the original Providian debt, but no doubt Cambece, who purchased the debt from Providian for pennies on the dollar, has added on exorbitant interest and penalties. Do not pay Cambece another cent until they have showed that they have the right to collect on the debt, how they arrived at the amount they say you owe, etc., etc. Most of us here have heard the 'a decision will be made today' line. Don't fall for it. Hang in there...we're here to help!

(One more thing -- did you ever give them your banking/checking account info? Just wondering because of Cambece's monthly threat to debit your checking account. That can't be done without either 1) a judgment; or 2) your agreement. If you've already given them your banking info then you need to close that account ASAP.)