CRA investigated the wrong TL and added more lates

help

I called the CRA. I asked them to dispute Sallie Mae. They mistakenly disputed another student loan, a government student loan. Both loans use social security number as an ID. They came back, and instead of ONE late on the gov. loan, I now have years of lates. I disputed it over the phone as punitive, and told them I never asked them to investigate that. Am I just screwed?

The same thing happened to me when I disputed lates with Bally Total Fitness. Instead of one 90 day late I ended up with 1 90 day and 5 120 day lates. I am in the process of disputing all of the lates directly through Bally's.

You can dispute the lates as punitive but that is unlikely to be effective. If the information is accurate you will have to find other reasons to dispute it even though it is their fault. Good luck.

I called the CRA. I asked them to dispute Sallie Mae. They mistakenly disputed another student loan, a government student loan. Both loans use social security number as an ID. They came back, and instead of ONE late on the gov. loan, I now have years of lates. I disputed it over the phone as punitive, and told them I never asked them to investigate that. Am I just screwed?

Unfortunately, this is a risk you take when you dispute lates w/ a CRA. If the lates that were reported are inaccurate, then you should contact the OC to have the errors fixed. If they are accurate & recent, then you should try a GW letter to the OC. If you dispute w/ the CRA again, you'll risk getting the entire TL deleted (a negative thing if the loan has years of history).

These newly reported lates aren't recent. They're continuous throughout the student loan. Unfortunately, they probably are accurate. The loan has years of history. All late pay. That loan and the lates on the Sally Mae are what's killing the score.