if i pay, can i get it deleted?

frantanna

Paying will likely not help your credit; your account will just be noted as a paid collection. Lots of people here like to try "pay for deletes" or PFDs, I don't. If you do, get it in writing and be prepared to be lied to.

One thing to remember; a paid collection gets noted on your credit report as a "paid collection". When other creditors look at your report, they'll see that. They're going to think they have a shot a you too. So, your accounts will begin to rise in their "probability of collection" projections. The end result is that they will pursue you more vigorously than an account that appears to be uncollectable.

If you do get it in writing and they don't delete.............what do you do?

All you can do is sue them. Paid collections are the hardest to get rid of. Most CA's will not even consider PFD, so getting them to sign such an agreement is difficult at best. They try to weasel out with clauses like "Upon payment, Mike's collection agency is authorized to delete this from your credit"

Note that it says authorized to delete, it does not say that they actually will. That is how dishonest they are.

this step seems pointless to me....can it be skipped and you just write to the CA to start the debt verification process?

You can, but it usually shakes out a few easy deletes. Just don't forget to 1-2 punch with a dispute to the CRA after you get the green card back from each DV.