CA calling after item removed from CR 3yrs ago...

whyme2

Hello,

I will make a short story even shorter.... 3 years ago I went to check my credit report and found an erroneous item on my report. The item did not belong to me..as I had never had an account with this company. I disputed it with the Credit Bureaus and it was deleted from my report (s).

I'd never heard anything about that item prior to finding it on my credit reports and not in the 3 years afterwards (and it's not on any of my reports that I've pulled within the past 3 years).

However, last week out of the blue--a credit agency called me and told me that I owed on this account. I explained the situation to her and told her I had proof that this item was investigated and deleted from my Credit reports 3 years ago and that I had no idea of why they were contacting me now. She was very nice and said that these things happen sometimes and the accounts get sold and passed around to so many different companies that there is sometimes a lot of confusion. She told me to just fax in the 'proof' that the item was deleted. I did that the very next morning. Thinking that I was so happy that I always hold on to papers---especially important documents. I thought that fax was the end of everything. I didn't hear anything from them afterwards until last evening. They called---I am assuming it was them--it was not the same woman but since this is the only agency to ever contact me about this item..I figure she is from the same agency.

This woman was very rude. My husband answered and she wouldn't even tell him her name or why she was calling. I was busy with our 3 year old then so he was not going to give me the phone if it was not important. She was rude to him I think and she even asked him who he was because I heard him yell "I am her husband!". That is when I heard my husband yell at her and he told her that he would not give me the phone until she told him who she was and why she was calling. He was aware of the incident last week and was angry that the people were calling again. He handed me the phone after she told him who she was and then I was very nice and told her about the fax I sent and that I prefered that they not call me any longer. I also told them not to call me in the fax I sent to them last week.

She was rude and almost threatening in tone and said 'you will get called as long as this item is here' and then she hung up abruptly.

Are these people crazy or what? The first woman was very nice. This woman was very rude. They are calling me for something I have no knowledge of.

What can I do about them if they call me again? Report them to whom? My husband and I have no debt and have excellent credit. So to have creditors call us is actually funny. I will not be bullied and I'm not afraid of them because I know I don't owe anyone anything but I don't want them calling me all of the time.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Hi again lyle,

I don't understand why I have to do anything. This item is not on my credit report any longer. I do not have a bad credit history and never have.

As far as paperwork is concerned. I don't have any paperwork other than the dispute letter I sent to the Credit Bureaus when I found this item listed on my report. The Credit Bureaus just sent me back a report stating that the item had been investigated and deleted from my report. I faxed the agency a copy of this report last week. I received that report 3 years ago. It was deleted because it's not on my reports. My husband and I run a business where our reports are pulled often so it's not there. I have no idea why this agency is calling me after all of this time. Isn't it enough that I faxed them and told them to not call me any longer when I sent them a copy of the deletion report? I also told her not to call again last night. Why are they bothering me for something that is not mine to begin with?

Also, I don't know what the abbreviations mean here. D & V?

Thanks

HELLOOOO....

No one has a solution or has been in a situation like this one? They don't call often. So far I've only received 2 calls from them. I just want to know what I should do to prevent them from calling me again---if they do call again. They shouldn't and I don't know why they would....but crazier things have happened I assume.

HELLOOOO....

No one has a solution or has been in a situation like this one? They don't call often. So far I've only received 2 calls from them. I just want to know what I should do to prevent them from calling me again---if they do call again. They shouldn't and I don't know why they would....but crazier things have happened I assume.

Change your phone number. Screen your calls. Get on the phone yourself next time and ask for a name and address.

Frankly, I think you're overreacting. They only called twice. You'd also do better to respect the people here who are trying to help you. They don't get paid to do it.

Ok, first of all the presence or absence of any account on your credit reports has ZERO BEARING on the debt's collectability. People get stuff deleted all the time, accounts that really are their debts but the creditor failed to respond. The deletion letter from the bureaus means NOTHING to these collection idiots.

THEY believe they have someone on the hook. If you want to get rid of these cretins you ARE going to have to DO something. DV is pointless in this case. You write them a very stern cease and desist letter stating that they are to immediately cease and desist all collection actions, you've never had any account with the original creditor and do not owe ANY debt to ANY creditor.

Have you asked them to tell you what SSN they have for this alleged account ? An address from the original account ? If not, do it. File a complaint with the FTC and your state attorney general. Contact ACA international (www.collector.com) and file a written complaint against the CA there too. If they don't stop harrasing you, then it may be time to sue them - or at least make them think you're going to.

Hold ya horses, there, Doll! You just posted your story today; and w/ posts of the length of yours, you need to give others time to read and respond. So, hold tight.

DV = Debt Validation

A DV is not necessary for you. Just send a C&D (Cease & Desist) letter. It's that simple; so relax. Per the FDCPA...

c) CEASING COMMUNICATION. If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except --

(1) to advise the consumer that the debt collector's further efforts are being terminated;

(2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or

(3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.

If such notice from the consumer is made by mail, notification shall be complete upon receipt.

Actually, a DV may be in order here. What I would do is see if the item is on my CR. If the item has been reinserted, or if it is reinserted in the near future, you may need to DV, just so you can make sure it isn't yours.

The fact that it was deleted in the past has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they will call you.

Otherwise, don't let 2 phone calls get you in a lather.

Thank ALL of you for your replies. Especially LadyInRed. I'm not really worried and I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone here. I just wanted to stop them from calling me that is all.

I know this account has nothing to do with me and I also know that it's not on my current Credit Reports. I doubt if they can reinstate it beause it's not mine and I have no outstanding accounts with anyone and never have. If it shows up on my report again in the near future I will definitely handle it but until that happens I'm really not worried but I do not want any annoying calls from these rude people. I truly believe they are crazy.

I did ask the woman for the name of the company. I have a fax number and a telephone number for the company (received from the original woman who called). Would it be appropriate to send them a fax (cease and desist) or to mail it via certified mail? I have to get their mailing address. Has anyone ever heard of this company.

I googled it and found it online but not really sure if that is the company or not.

Thanks EVERYONE AGAIN and again... I was never trying to be rude or impatient. Very sorry if I offended anyone.

Also thank you EarthAngel for defining Cease and Desist for me and for the info.

When dealing with a collector you have to act as if the matter will go to court (even if it never does).

To that end, all correspondence must be in writing...if it isn't in writing it didn't happen.

All written correspondence must be sent certified mail with return receipt requested and I'd suggest you back it up with the same correspondence sent by regular first classs mail with proof of mailing.

Email and fax and such have their place but they are not of much use should things get ugly and you do wind up in court.