Sign in to follow this  
divemedic

Information from behind enemy lines

Read this It was informative. It has a copyright, but since this site hasn't published it, but merely linked to the site who DID, I think we are OK.

That's veeeeery interesting, especially the phone call script, and how they're not too hot on taking money orders. Thanks for sharing it!

link no longer works :(

Wow, great link! VERY informative!! It's amazing what lengths these scumbags will do to trick people into paying but won't do to prove that debts are validated.

Thanks DM!!

Ohhh, I see what I did wrong now (didn't copy the 'f' in pdf). Thank you for fixing it, though :)

Thanks Dive!

I like page#29.... "CAs SHOULD perform initial check to see that the debts are generally valid and verifiable.....blah...blah.."

SURE... I'm sure most CAs do these initial checks first!!! ::laugh::

Almost forgot... I like their psychological pause B.S on page 33!!

Hillarious!!!!

does anyone have a copy of this or have it still in their cache????

i want to read this.

That link is dead but I do have a copy of the full pdf -- sent to me by a "friend" in the collections business ;)

Well this little diddy was interresting from page 8:

"For instance, a statute of limitations in the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) for credit card debt is four years, which may trump a statute of limitations for contracts of six years."

I seem to recall a lot of CAs attempting to claim the contract SoL overriding the UCC for credit cards in recent history. Deception? Hmmm.

Found another good one I did not realize...

If you enter into a payment plan with a CA and there are more than 4 payments, they are required to do a Truth in Lending disclosure under Regulation Z. Have you ever seen a CA do that? Not I...

Would this apply to student loan rehabs?

Apparently so. Under TILA a debt collector is considered to be a "financial institution" under that Act if it arranges for 4 or more payments with a consumer on a delinquent debt.

More interresting info...

Lexis has two sub-companies that supply data on consumers; Accurint, which is used to skip-trace people "in seconds" by combing through Lexis' vast database of consumer data and Banko which sells bankruptcy information it has compiled to others including the CRAs.

FairIsaac (aka MyFICO.com) apparently also is in the business of selling consumer data that it collects from people that use its services to obtain their FICO and credit scores. DANGER-DANGER-WILL-ROBINSON

Consumer Data Industry Association is apparently more than just a trade-group for data collectors, they are also in the business of selling consumer reports including rental histories, mortgage reports, employment reports, and check fraud services.

Merlin Information Services is listed in this "book" as being one of the hidden CRAs that sells consumer header info, but consistantly denies being governed by the FCRA

Insight America is also listed as one of the hidden CRAs

There is SO much stuff in this 'book'. I can't even get a payment history from the company who's rehabbing my loans. Obviously this concerns me. 12 monthly payments - I never got a TILA disclosure.

Me either Hinky!!