Yeah happy day for me today

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posts and advice I received on this site. I applied for a Target credit card and was originally declined due to the land line vs cell phone issue. So I called them and they told me to reapply with the landline number and WOW I was surprised instantly approved.

Not sure of the credit limit but dont care as this is my first credit card since my CHpt 7 bk 2/06.

It will probably be $200. Don't worry, that's what almost everyone starts out with.

Interesting to note, though, that Target does have an issue with lack of a landline number. That info will be helpful for future posters!!

Congrats on your first card!!! :D

If you don't mind me asking, how do they know if you have a cell number or a land line???

I really dont know, she said they have a way to verify the name of the phone number for a landline phone.

Whoah... wait a minute... HOW???

Unless the phone and wireless companies share data. There are third parties that sell it but now that people can keep their phone numbers when they move to different carriers, I would imagine that it would become more difficult.

If you don't mind me asking, how do they know if you have a cell number or a land line???

I really dont know, she said they have a way to verify the name of the phone number for a landline phone.

Whoah... wait a minute... HOW???

Unless the phone and wireless companies share data. There are third parties that sell it but now that people can keep their phone numbers when they move to different carriers, I would imagine that it would become more difficult.

The lady had the number I listed and she said it came back as a cell phone and they need a land line. I told her that the land line number is listed to another address and she said as long as when they do an automoated check it comes back registered in my last name I would be fine.

Some cell area codes (like mine) are reserved only for cell numbers. Also, I've seen websites where area codes and exchanges are listed, and next to them, it says who owns them (like Cingular etc.) and if they're a cell or landline. All they need is the area code and exchange... not the whole number.

EDIT: I found one of those sites (not the comprehensive one I had originally seen, unfortunately, but I'm still looking) and put it my area code and exchange. This is what came back:

Exchange Location: NEW YORK CITY ZONE 1

Exchange Type: Public Mobile Carrier (Type 2 Interconnected)

Owner: OMNIPOINT COMM NY

Created On: May 31 2003

Yup. I was with T-Mobile (which used to be Omnipoint) when I got this number.