how does this work

A previous post caught my attention.. the woman who wrote about her bank account being frozen for 25K (I feel so bad for her)

How does that work if you dont' have that kind of money in your account..do they freeze what you have and go back for more at anytime.. I would imagine that you wouldn't ADD any more money to that account.. I looked for the answers on this but didnt find them..

I had this happen but for only about 3 grand. It simply put my account into the negatives. Any outstanding checks were bounced and any deposits made will simply add to towards that first.

Its a realy ugly situation. Your pretty much F*$%ked. We had no cash on us and were screwed till he got a check and I had to cash it at Walmart.

lady in red..

I am in NC any clue on this

I didnt see this anywhere in our statutes on the AG website.. I know it exists but its not spelled out (well if it is I cant find it)

one shot deal.. that makes sense..

but if they keep the freeze on the account what is there to keep you from just walking away from the account... and if you have more then one can they freeze all of them.. thanks its hard to find info on this.. I went to several state law sites and googled it.. nothing that was specific regarding bank accounts was to be found

They will do it as long as it is a valid account. ANY account and has .50 cents in it. I don't know if they do multiple accounts at once, I would think not but I know they will get it if you got one. THey don't know your balance. They just hope you have teh money and not to mention it gets your attention.

But they can only do this if they have already gotten a judgement against you.

Mine actually stayed frozen til we went to court and I fought back and won because they got a fraudulent judgement and sued me in the wrong city. So the judgement was revoked thus unfreezing the account withing 2 days.

well what I have found it that they just freeze the whole amount. However their intentions are to just set up the payment plan for the garnishment. Im sure they know that most people don't have thousands of dollers just floating around in their accounts. Theyre just letting you know there is no more ignoring it and theyre not waiting anymore.

When you go to court, the court will actually determine a percentage of your income that they are allowed to take from each paycheck or bank account. They then get there first payment from the freeze and release the rest of the funds back to normal. By this time though the courts are intervening and you now have an assinged amount through the courts set up for automatic payment. Thus a garnishment