Utility Co-wrong dates-dispute with OC or Utility Commission

newbie7069

I have disputed a TL from a Utility Co. twice with each CRA. They are reporting different DOFMD (4/2001 EX - 3/2001 TU - none rep EQ). Each time it has come back verified.

This is a Paid Charge-Off.

Here's the violations I've come up with----FCRA 623(a)(5) not furnishing to EQ within 90 days the DOFMD; same section reporting inaccurate dates to EX and TU. Listing the TL as an "Installment" Account. And after disputing they added a 5/2006 CO to EQ--I'm guessing retaliation for disputing in a further attempt to have a more negative impact.

I've drafted the letter under Disputing with OC, but as they are a utility company, in Texas (where the debt originated) they also fall under Public Utility Commission of Texas. I contacted the PUC trying to determine if there were also any Texas Statuates that were being violated. They told me I should immediatly file a formal complaint with them.

I racked up the fine violations in the letter I drafted to the OC---the most major was the violations of Sect 623(a)(5) which according to the press release on the FTC website regarding the NCO settlement are subject to $2,500 per violation.

What would you do??? Should I dispute with them directly, or file a complaint with the Public Utility Commission? Keep in mind, the goal is just to get this off :wink:

Those violations would be great if you were informing (let's say) a consumer attorney or a judge (if you sue) about the utility company; but we're talking about the Utility Commission. I'm not saying that the violations aren't worth much, but the Commission can't do much for violations of the FCRA. However, if you dispute directly w/ the OC, wouldn't it be nice to tell the Commission that you've contacted the OC about this and they (for example) fail to respond? Your issues are w/ the reporting of the TL...and not directly w/ the OC's service to you. But hey...who cares if they can do anything about it. Sometimes, a complaint to the commission is just enough to scare the OC's TL right off of your report. My advice: dispute directly w/ the OC first. If they fail to comply, then not only fire off a complaint to the Commission, but also to the FTC and your state's AG.

Thanks Angel!!!

I really wasn't looking to file a complaint when I called the PUC. I had originally called the AG office, who referred me to the State Law Library who then told me to call the PUC.

Like I said, I was just looking for further violations in TX Code to go along with the FCRA violations---more punches in the letter :twisted:

I'm sending the letter today to the OC.