Please tell me I dont have to pay!

JMan5000

I took a Microsoft certification class back in 99. It was an 8 week course, I started 1 week late, and left 2 weeks before the end. In the 5 weeks I attended, we had three different teachers, and they were all bad. This was one of three courses I had to take to get my certification, so I took the other 2 elsewhere.

At the time of enrollment at Academy of businees college, all I was signed was paper stating the class, tuition of $2400, and that I was going to pay in full on the first night I went to class. I didnt pay, and they didnt ask.

1 year later (2000), Rhodes college (they bought Academy of BC) contacted me saying I owed money. I diodnt want to pay, but fearing bad credit, I signed an agreement to make $200 payments. I only made a couple.

1 year after that( 2001), I went in again, and explaining how bad the course was, I signed another agreement showing if I made half the payments, the other would be written off. Made maybe 1 payment.

Tonight I got a call from a sunrise credit company saying that I owe money to a school called Everest College from 2003. Apparently they bought Rhodes College.

Do I have any way out?! DV, anything! They were a terrible college, every student I met hated it. The last class I went to (6 week of 8), there was only 3 of us left from about 20. They dont deserve my money.

P.S. I just looked at the SOL for arizona, the last 2 things I signed would be categorized as a "promissary note" (interest, payment plan, etc). Does SOL apply to this, and is it from my original class date as in my orginal contract, or the dates on the promissary with the new company(school)?

You did not receive the services they are billing you for. These type of collections are common with the fly-by-night trade schools, etc. Look for BBB compliants, you'll find plenty. DV the CA. File complaint with the BBB at the same time. Amazing how quickly the billing issues from these "schools" disappear.

I agree, I should have demanded a refund right away, and even worse that I signed any agreements after that.

LynnInMN, I have seen you mention non-profit or public in other posts and I dont know what the criteria is for that. I dont think they were non-profit, seemed like a chain of small colleges, offering business type certifications and courses. If you check out Everest College's website, you will see what I mean. Maybe you saw "Academy" and thought it was something different? I applied for a pin at DOE's website to see if they are federally funded loan, but I am pretty sure they are not. LynnInMN, could you maybe list for me and others, the different categories of colleges and student loans(public, non-profit,etc), how to determine which one they are, and what SOL's and rules apply to each one. Thank you.

Nascar, I definately did not receive what I am being charged for, but Im not sure if a judge would agree. I will try to DV them. Regardless of the "type" of school, the collector still has to provide all the same info, dont they?

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is a month after the fact, but I'm just now getting around to reading more in-depth on some of these topics.

You could attempt, and I do mean attempt, to see if the loan could be forgiven.

Student Loan Forgiveness, Consolidation or Cancellation

Check your account

If you have taken out a loan to help pay for your education, all or part of it may be cancelled (forgiven) for several reasons. You may qualify for total or partial loan forgiveness if:

* The school closed within 90 days of your enrollment and they were unable to finish their program of study.

* The school did not properly qualify your status before they began studies.

* You did not receive a refund that was due to you.

* Your signature was forged.

* The school did not properly evaluate your ability to benefit from the coursework before beginning studies.

* You become totally and permanently disabled.

* If you or the dependent for whom the loan was borrowed, dies

* Your loan is discharged due to bankruptcy. (Typically, student loans cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy.) Consult your legal counsel regarding your particular situation.

Your loan cannot be discharged solely because you believe that the school your child attended did at least one of the following:

* Provided poor training, had unqualified instructors, or inadequate equipment

* Did not provide job placement or other services that it promised; or

* Engaged in fraudulent activities (other than falsely certifying the loan)

* If you believe you are eligible for loan forgiveness, contact the holder of your loan.