Amex? confused

I am going to try to keep this short but I have what is probably a stupid question..

Many years ago I had a personal Amex card , and due to a business failure I could not repay it (it was a personal card not a business one)

Amex turned it over to a lawyer in my state who was VERY nice..and he and I arranged payments (the total amount at the time was 32,000.00.) I made payments to him for a few years and in December of 2002 (date of last payment) and was told in January of 2003 my account would be moved and I would be notified. I contacted Amex and they said I would be informed. I never heard another word

I got one of those letters last week from Amex, second chance if I paid off the remaining balance in full.. This is the first I have heard of this debt in nearly3 1/2 years(the SOL in my state is three years)..

I called the Lawyer I was making payments too and he confirmed that Dec of 2002 was my last payment.. they also did not file any kind of judgement.. which he also confirmed. (he also told me he is no longer handling these accounts) and offered to put me in touch with the lawyer who took it over.. I declined. (There is no judgement for me listed at our local courthouse regarding this)

I noticed its also not on my credit reports anywhere.. The lawyer said he was amazed they didnt come after me..

Now today out of the blue I got a voice mail from Amex asking me to call them. Any clue what is going on.. do you think the lawyer alerted them.. and if so why.

Or am I just being clueless.. It is out of SOL.., and I read they don't sue, but then again.. I am wondering what road I am looking down at here.. I asked the Lawyer to send me a confirmation of my last payment but he would not do that.

Can you help me sort this out.. why out of the blue.. and why after I called the Lawyer... related.. or no or does it matter..

And is it possible he taped our conversation.. can that start the SOL again?? (I did not agree to payments only asked when I paid it last and we discussed the amount that was due and we I mentioned it was now out of SOL which he agreed).. geez did I back myself into some kind of corner??? (I am in NC) HELP I am wondering now

sorry for the length

I doubt the lawyer ratted you out. He has nothing to gain. I don't waste my time calling former clients to give them tips on how to collect. I have enough problems dealing with my workload from my existing clients. In the practice of law, time is money and lawyers try not to waste their time on non-billable endeavors.

You said that, prior to contacting the attorney, you received a letter from AMEX. Wouldn't common sense tell you that they are now pursuing collection of your account and the telephone call is just another manifestation of that effort?

I'm not picking on you, but it amazes me how people on this board will overlook the simplest answer to concoct some conspiracy theory involving lawyers or judges.

If you lose your court case, its generally because the law or the facts are not on your side, you didn't plead your case correctly, or the judge didn't believe you. It is very rare that it is because the judge doesn't like you or because he is in bed with the other attorney.

Didn't you just get the answer to this?

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46407

http://debtorboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=2056.0

Send the C&D and they will quit calling and writing you. If they sue, you have affirmative defense of SOL. Calm down. I think you are making too much of this. The ball is now in their court and the next play after your C&D is theirs unless you want to call them and pay or settle.

If you lose your court case, its generally because the law or the facts are not on your side, you didn't plead your case correctly, or the judge didn't believe you. It is very rare that it is because the judge doesn't like you or because he is in bed with the other attorney.

Hmmm...if that were only true...

1. We have the best legal system money can buy. He with the most bucks, usually wins...

2. Most judges are or were attorney themselves. Its a club. If you don't belong, you don't get heard. (Okay, there are some compassionate judges who will help the little guy against the big bad lawyer. However, day after day of seeing the dark side of human nature soon beats that out of them).

3. Although I haven't been in many courts, in the few I have, its obvious that the judge has a preference for who he would deal with. Sometimes it was one attorney (an old law partner/drinking buddy) over another...sometimes it was an attorney over an individual. We like to thing the law is the law (can you hear Judge Dread in my voice) but the truth is, its litigated by people and its open to intrepretation...