Paying off judgments

georgia peach

So my friend has three judgments on his record from Kansas..

One is to a doctor filed Dec. 2001 for $52.

The other is for a grocery store filed June 2001, but the same case number is showing two different amounts, $65 and $389.

I am reading that judgments can fall off a report but never really go away legally. If he pays these, will the cases fall off his report as planned or does it begin a fresh clock? And would he contact the OC or the court to pay?

I have one and I called the OC to pay. The courts don't seem to have anything to do with the paying part, unless the OC decides to take legal action to make you pay.

Your friend should go to the courthouse and see the files, and make sure the amounts are being reported correctly since it shows dff't info.

I too would like an answer to the SOL question. If I pay it does it still fall off in 7 years?

Judgments may be reported for 7 years from the date of filing. Paying them does not reset the Reporting Time Period.

Legal items need their proper legal disposition. Paying or not paying is (sort of) beside the point. In other words, having an entry in the Public Records portion of your CR that says, "Judgment Filed...(whatever) Date, Paid 07-06" would still prevent you from obtaining credit. The danger of an unsatisfied judgment is that the plaintiff can attach real property, cloud the title, which prevents (a potential creditor from filing) foreclosure, resale, etc. So no one will want to lend you money on or for purchase of tangible goods which can be liened.

Judgments do expire. The time limit and potential for renewal depends on state law. Regardless of this, the FCRA allows them to be reported for 7 years....

Your friend needs to contact the court and find out the proper procedure for paying and then obtaining a Satisfaction of Judgment. He needs to then (probably) pay the nominal fee to have the Satisfactions recorded and obtain Certified Copies of the Satisfactions. Forward photocopies of the Certified Copies (keeping the originals with other important papers) to the CRA's so that the judgments can be updated. Rinse & repeat until the disposition is reflected on his CR. He will, most likely, experience a drop in score. But having the dispositions on any outstanding legal is necessary.

Repeat after me:

"Credit Scoring makes no sense!"

Now, anytime you have a question about why something reasonable and logical causes a score to drop, see above.

Anyway....Scoring software is weighted heavily towards recent activity. So, anything that makes an older item APPEAR recent causes deductions. This is the reason behind the recommendations against paying off collection accounts. Unfortunately, there are instances (like your friends situation) where you have to "bite the bullet". Legal items need a disposition, period! The best thing is to try to mitigate the damage to the score.