OC doesn't answer request for payplan/pay for delete letter

sje123

A friend's college aged son (when he was 20) moved out of his apartment in Boston and his roommates promised to pay the electric bill with Massachusetts Electric. He was not on the lease and when he moved out, the bill had been paid in full. He admits (now) that he was the most responsible one in the apt but thought that they would pay it being in his name (silly naive kid).

Yes, everyone realizes that it was a dumb move on his part to let the roommates keep the electric in his name, but that's what happened. They ran it up to 1600.00 and then Mass Electric shut it off. I have no idea how bills get that high in the first place.

Anyway, he is now 23, gainfully employed, and trying to buy a car and found the electric bill on his credit report. He has no idea where his ex roommates are but does not really want to implicate them in any wrongdoing in anyway. So he disputed it with the credit bureaus but it came back verified.

He sent Mass Electric a "pay for delete" letter trying to a) set up a payment plan and B) ask them to delete it from his credit report when it is paid.

He never heard from them. He sent a duplicate letter about a month later and still hasn't heard.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just my opinion, but if you're still dealing with the OC, particularly a utility company, its usually better to call them. As long as you actually talk to someone at the company (as opposed to a CA that they've outsourced it to) you usually get more polite and even cooperative assistance.

If it were me, I'd play the "boy, was I dumb to think those idiots would handle this...my mistake...but I want to fix it...what can you do to help?".

They probably won't delete it, but they might at least mark it "paid as agreed".

Oh, rather than a paid collection? Got it. He's a really nervous tongue tied kid and I know he's going to not like that idea but we shall see...my own experience with utilities is that they won't delete the lates but maybe this one will.