Being served a summons...anyone help???

I received a call today from an officer that was trying to serve a summons on me from a debt that I am currently paying on. Here is the situation. In May I received a call and letter from the company saying they had not received my payment and they had forwarded the matter to their attorney. They advised me to call and straigten it out. I called and spoke to the asst manager, she took my payment over the phone. The company is here locally but my payments go all the way to Nevada( I am in FL). I expalined to her that I had mailed my payment to the Nevada address. I went ahead and gave her another pmt over the phone. She said everything was fine, not to worry about the letter from the lawyer my account was current.

I have not heard from them by phone or mail since (that was May 24th) except for my current statement which shows one payment (1282.67) due 6/22/06. I mailed the payment to them a few days late (the 27th) but I did send it in with my statement coupon to the address on the bill. Then today I get a call from the server trying to serve me with a summons from this company. Can they do this? Is this legal? Someone help me because I am really confised here.

.. it is. If it's a debt that hasn't been paid in a timely manner, and you don't have a specific, written settlement agreement that sets your payments, they're free to file suit to try to collect the whole debt.

If you haven't actually been served yet, maybe there's still a chance you can call and work this out with them?