Beyond Low

Sarris

Yestarday we had a family get together and a lot of family showed up including my brothers wifes grandmother. She is a very nice lady and we spent some time talking. When the topic came up about phone calls, because we had a solicitation call from qwest, she started telling us about these really mean people calling her once or twice a day saying that her son, Dee's uncle, owes money to them and that if she did not pay it, he would go to jail. She said that she has been saving up for a month now to pay his bill and wanted to know if Dee knew where he was so that he could pay it.

I about choked on my food. Late last night we drove her home and sure enough there was a number on her caller ID from "Protocol Recovery Services" from the last time they called her.

I told her to tell them the next time they call to put what they are saying into writing and send it too her. Specifically that they are going to have her son arrested if she doesn't pay his bill. If they don't comply, I told her to tell them to "Go to hell" and not to call her again or she will sue them for violating the law. I wrote down a few things for her to say so that she wouldn't forget.

Today I helped her to file a complaint with the AGO and the Trade Commision against PRS.

My God... do these people really think they can get away with this? Yes, yes they do. The lady we talked to at the Consumer Affairs division of the AGO flat out said that many of these companies actually depend upon scaring elderly people into paying for other peoples collections and bad debts through threats and dubious measures. All of which are very illegal under both state and federal law.

She went on to say that in many cases there are scams going on where bogus collection companies target elderly people from "charity lists" that they buy and literally make stuff up based upon a back ground check. They say things like "your later spouse ran up this bill and you must pay it or we will take you SSI," to "your home is going to be taken if you do not pay your past due account with us." They scare these folks into paying millions each year. (These companies are not ligitimate collection companies but scam artists.)

We do live in a scary world don't we?

You're right, that is BEYOND low--what a bunch of oxygen thieves!!! She needs someone to help her construct a C&D letter to these idiots and send it CMRRR immediately. If they're contacting her 2-3 times a day that is also a violation, what morons.

Elyse

We did file a compliant with the consumer affairs division of the states AGO office. Today I talked with her and she said that they called yestarday about 3 pm (PST) and demanded payment. She told me that she said all the things I wrote down for her to say and asked for things in writing. She was surprised when they said they could not send her anything in writing, that according to her, was when she leveled the boom on them. She did get their mailing address, needed for the AGO complaint and a C&D letter. Also her son contacted her, because Dee called him, and said that he knew nothing about any collection and to his knowledge, doesn't owe any money. He is going to call them on monday according to her to find out what is what.

Whether the collection is his or not, PRS seemingly broke the law and should be held accountable for this. As stated before, CA's often prey on the elderly knowning that they can be scared or threatened into paying bills that are not theirs. Because of this I sent a letter to Brain Baird our congressman out lining what they did to Margie and what the lady at the AGO CAO said. There needs to be a stronger law in place to protect elderly people from preditory collection agencies that prey upon them like vampires.

I hope someone in the Congressmens office will read the letter and consider its mereit as worth while and do something about it.