Sent payment to OC but CA is listing Paid Collection HELP!

nashmeade

Hello,

I had a past due utility bill for Marietta Power that was sent to collections to Stallings Financial. I DVed the CA and they were able to provide me copies of statements, my account, and even my driver's license. I sent a payment directly to the OC, the check was written to the OC and they've cashed it. I sent a letter to the CA telling them to delete their TL with the big 3. Well, today I look up my credit report now and it's being listed as a paid collection by Stallings Financial. I never paid them directly nor did I agree to pay them...what can I do to get their TL off of my credit report?

Hello,

I had a past due utility bill for Marietta Power that was sent to collections to Stallings Financial. I DVed the CA and they were able to provide me copies of statements, my account, and even my driver's license. I sent a payment directly to the OC, the check was written to the OC and they've cashed it. I sent a letter to the CA telling them to delete their TL with the big 3. Well, today I look up my credit report now and it's being listed as a paid collection by Stallings Financial. I never paid them directly nor did I agree to pay them...what can I do to get their TL off of my credit report?

The power company simply did what is called a "pay direct" to the CA. The CA still gets credit for the recovery, regardless of where you send it. You do not have to agree to pay them....it is all in your contract with the power company that they have the privilege to send your account to collections if needs be. Legally, you may be stuck with the trade line.

The only thing you can do really is dispute any entries to your credit report as inaccurate, and be prepared to show proof that you indeed paid the OC.

Paying the OC does not remove the collection account. There is usually a contract between the OC and CA, that any payments that come in to the OC are automatically pay directed to the CA...sometimes the actually checks themselves are sent to the CA. CA's hold signatory rights for their clients.

Lynn is right, you may be stuck with this tradeline because they really are not doing anything wrong, but this "Hail Mary" move worked for me.

Basically the same thing happened to me. What I did was submit a dispute with the CRA's which included a copy of the cancelled check made out to and cashed by the OC. I stated paid the OC as evidenced by the attached copy of the cashed check, never worked with this CA...please remove this information. All three did.

My theory is that once something is paid the CA really doesn't care anymore either way. They are going to spend their time trying to collect more money from other people, not going through dead paperwork verifying a closed paid account for a CRA.

• 2 weeks later...
Paying the OC does not remove the collection account. There is usually a contract between the OC and CA, that any payments that come in to the OC are automatically pay directed to the CA...sometimes the actually checks themselves are sent to the CA. CA's hold signatory rights for their clients.

I meant something like that. . .

What I was trying to say was, hang onto ALL evidence of having paid in case you should need to submit such to CRAs, NACA attorneys, or whoever. Of course paying the OC doesn't automatically remove the record. However, if one should elect to dispute or follow through with other action, this documentation would become quite handy.