Did your Credit get Worse before it Got Better?

aeburse4

My biggest fear of starting this whole process is that my credit will actually get worse and I will "wake up" all of these old demons on my credit report and will end up really messing things up. Did you find that your credit got worse before it got better?

Depends really. Depends on the circumstances.

I managed to get a BK7 deleted off of my TU and was approved for a US Bank World Perks Visa ($8,000 limit), Citibank unsecured personal loan ($1,400 - all I needed to clean out a card that jacked me to 30%), Citibank variable rate overdraft checking (in reality a $2000 line of credit that is there for me should I ever need it), and a Citi AAwards Mastercard.

With the BK removed, my TU jumped from 640ish to 682. Last check it dropped to 674. But I have two inquiries that will be dropping off soon--one this month ans one in Sept. So I assume I will be back to the same levels soon enough. Experians Freako-Fako PLUS score dropped from 729 to 724, and I believe that EQ stayed the same as it was.

It's all a yo-yo. Me personally, I'm happy to be over the 640 mark. Naturally I want to be in the 700's, but I'll take this for now. I'm already out of the subprime market, and want to stay that way.

My dilemma is whether to close out one of my subprime cards. I do not plan on using it, except for the occasional cup of coffee. But the extra account both helps and hurts. Hurts because it's an extra account. Helps because it increases the available amount of credit based on what I owe. So it's a double edged sword.

So just ride it out. Fight what you can--unauthorized pulls, etc, and try to get whatever negatives deleted. It really can't make things too much worse, but it can definitley make them better--even if that better is just a slight increase in your FICO score.

Don't worry about small drops in your score period!! Everyone goes through drops in their score even sometimes adding positive items. In the long run it will all turn around for the best.

There is nothing better in this world for your piece of mind, then knowing you will have a fresh new start when you remove negative items from your credit report. You will then have the power again to borrow money in a responsible manner and your score will rise with your positive treadlines and on time payments.

My scores have tanked during all this disputing and deleting, and they will tank again when Equifax merges my split files... grrr. But not to worry. Once all the bad stuff is gone time will heal and it will move up fast.