Can someone just check me and make I know what DV is?

aeburse4

I know this sounds retarded so please bare with me.

DV= Debt Validation.

I DV a collection agency that has aquired my charged off account from someone else. They then have 30 days to respond. If they don't, I send them my green card and a letter explaining that they are in violation and they have to remove the item from my report.

Does that sound right?

When a CA first makes an attempt to collect on a debt they are requred to provide a 30 day period in which you can dispute the validity of the debt.

If the 30 day period has passed without request for validation, they are not required to respond to your request.

I DV a collection agency that has aquired my charged off account from someone else. They then have 30 days to respond. If they don't, I send them my green card and a letter explaining that they are in violation and they have to remove the item from my report.

Does that sound right?

Not quite. Remember, there is NO time limit on when a CA must respond to a DV; they just have to cease collection activity until they provide validation to you. Now...in order for DV to be fully effective, you must request DV w/in 30 days of initial communication w/ the CA. "Initial Communication" is the first time you correspond w/ the CA, be it via postal mail (when you actually receive the letter) or telephone (leaving a mssg does not count). However, you can request DV @ any time. It's just that if you request it after 30 days from initial communication, then the CA does not have to cease collection.

Ok :) I think I am getting it.

I have all these charged off accounts on my CR. It has been probably over 2 years since many of these have sent me an initail contact.

So, sending a DV really would not do me any good, right?

To be honest, I don't really remember these accounts anymore. I am sure most of them, if not all are totally real but I am not sure of the amounts and I have ZERO paperwork on these things anymore. ( I know...call me a stupid teenager who thought she would never need good credit :cry: ) Do I still send the DV letter out just to get verification? Or, do I just despute it because I am not really sure the amounts are correct?

Is there a link to a step by step process to dealing with getting these Charge Off's removed?

Thanks for your Understanding! I really need it.

IME, for these kinds of debts where you are sending a DV outside of the 30 day window, I sent an unknown debt letter via CMRRR. Basically something saying:

After viewing a recent copy of my report, I noticed you were reporting derogatory information. I do not recall any account with you. Please provide validation of this account. Telephone calls are inconvenient at any place or any time. Please respond by mail.

I had a couple cases where the JDB/CA never sent any communication, but just reported. I made sure I added the following line:

This is my first communication with you as I have never received any from you.

This has worked for myself and DH. Most CA's folded that way with just one letter. I just have the few stubborn ones that take a little longer. At least for me it started some sort of paper trail. JMHO

I have all these charged off accounts on my CR. It has been probably over 2 years since many of these have sent me an initail contact.

So, sending a DV really would not do me any good, right?

To be honest, I don't really remember these accounts anymore. I am sure most of them, if not all are totally real but I am not sure of the amounts and I have ZERO paperwork on these things anymore. ( I know...call me a stupid teenager who thought she would never need good credit :cry: ) Do I still send the DV letter out just to get verification? Or, do I just despute it because I am not really sure the amounts are correct?

Is there a link to a step by step process to dealing with getting these Charge Off's removed?

DV is only for CAs (unless your state laws extend the FDCPA to OCs). So, if these COs are being reported by the OC, then (I hate to say it) your only options really are to dispute every few months hoping it gets deleted, dispute directly w/ the OC (in hopes of catching them in a violation or 2 or deleting the TL), or wait 7yrs for it to fall off.

As for the link, there are a few that you should read...and keep reading. There's no 1 link to learn all you need to know about COs. You would just have to read the stickies and search for CO, charge offs, charge-off, or even charged off. You have to be creative w/ your searches, but you can't go wrong w/ reading whatever posts you can find. In the meantime, start from here... http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24558