My sister gave me BAD Credit!!

trwil1

My sisiter opened an accout with Atmos gas company and skipped on the bill $245. The problem is she opened the account in my name and SSN#. ( stole my info from me when we lived together 2 yrs prior to this issue.)

We are not on speaking terms but I am having a hard time turning her in to the police for this fraud.

I have DV the CA Professional Finance Co.

They just sent back an account statement form Atmos gas with the amount Due. They open accounts over the phone so no contracts have to be signed.

I did dispute with the CRA's came back verifed , but a statement was added the consumer disputes verifed under FCRA something rules.

IS there any way for me to bet this without turning my sister in to the police.

HELP

I know that this a very common problem and that most issues of identity theft occur between family members.

The only thought that I have on this if maybe you have some sort of proof as to where you were living at the time of the alleged debt. For example, a lease or deed that has a different address for the same time. It may also help if you can find cancelled copies of utility bills for the same period.

I'm sure there are some more knowledgeable members of the board that can offer better advice.

Good luck!

If you did not even live at the place, it might be tough for the collection agency to come up with proof positive that this was your debt. People do have multiple utility accounts for rentals, relatives, etc. But if someone else owned the home other than you...you may be able to put together a case that this was not you.

The best way to fight it is to just file a police report for identity theft (trust me, it will go no where, they have more pressing police cases - it's just a formality), and you don't have to tell them it's your sister. Once you do this, send the police report to the collection agency AND the CRAs. If they don't take it off, it's time to go to court. I'd also send a copy to the utility company.