received call on mothers debt

funnyandnice

Whether it's the OC or a CA calling, you can expect that their real reason to call is to use you to harass and embarrass your Mother.

The only legitimate reason for a CA to call a third-party is to locate a debtor; of course, that only applies if they truly don’t know the debtor’s location which is probably not the case here. As already noted, FDCPA restrictions on CAs don’t apply to OCs (at least, not in most states); however, neither an OC or a CA can discuss any specifics about the debt and you are not obligated in any way to assist the OC or CA or to even answer their calls if you don't wish to do so.

However, the bottom line is that your Mother needs to be proactive on this and deal with the delinquent account.

Hi Chris,

I understand that they're attempting to collect a debt and all that stuff...but c'mon! How hard is it to make sure you have the correct information? There truly is no need to contact family unless you haven't been able to reach them by phone/address for some time. In other words, mail gets returned, phone disconnected...etc, than I could see trying to locate family. Heck-skip tracing for example; sheesh. Or better yet, the phone book.

If it were me (meaning, if I were your Mom) I'd definitely give a call to their customer complaint lines and/or submit a formal letter of complaint. I'd make sure they had *MY* information including address, phone number and e-mail. Did they discuss your Mom's financial stuff w/ you? Did they tell you what this was regarding when they called? If so, than she may have plenty of room to submit complaints to the FTC, AG and BBB.

Either way, I know it's embarrassing but I do agree w/ Robert-she needs to be proactive.

Elyse

thanks for the info,

they do have her phone number and address. shes not hard to reach and they dont have caller ID so they answer their phone calls so not sure why he couldnt reach her. she had fallen a little behind on this one credit card, only a $500 balance and she s planning on taking care of it all next week when some money comes in. i dont even think it hit the 60 day range. she did let the guy have it for calling me bc i believe she had told earlier person she would have the money in a few weeks.

btw, it was the OC and not the CA, i was just checking to see if she had any recourse against them.

Thanks again,

Chris

It is not unusual for OCs to be agressive with their phone calls even when only slightly behind, especially if it's one of those "credit builder" accounts (issued to those with poor/bad credit) - I don't know if that's your Mother's case; just theorizing.

And in most cases, since it's the OC, FDCPA does not apply as has already been said. If they actually revealed any private/protected information to you about your Mother's account then she may have a cause of action but hardly worth pursuing...the best punishmetn she can muster would be to stop using credit cards; especially with this company.