Experian Report showing a later last reported date

I had an Amex with a debt that was charged off in 1998/99. I finished college and got a job overseas in 1999. So that Amex card would have been charged off no later than 1999 (probably in 1998). No payment was made on it and I was out of the country all this time 1999 till 2005.

I recently got a call from junk debt collector and immediately ordered my credit report to see what is happening. In my Credit Report I see my Amex account listed .The details are as follows:

Amex

Date Opened: 1994

Date of Status: Nov 2001

Reported since: Nov 2001

Last Reported: Nov 2001

Type: Revolving

Terms: 1 month

Monthly Payment: NA

Responsibility: Individual

Credit Limit: NA

High Balance: NA

Recent Balance: NA

Account History: "account closed at consumer's request"

Why is there a 2001 date since I was out of the country from 99 to 05? Did someone try to reset the date or something like that? Can I and should I get Experian to remove this information?

Regardless, this is a paid account (never late) and closed by you. Why are you concerned? It's not an adverse account; so removing it can do more harm than good.

That is what is on the CR but this account was NOT paid off and i suspect that it was charged off. I was out of the country on a job assignment all these years.

That is what is on the CR but this account was NOT paid off and i suspect that it was charged off. I was out of the country on a job assignment all these years.

But would you rather have a CO reporting or a paid/closed/never late TL? And it was OPENED IN 1984???? Do you realize how much history this one TL is giving you? I can understand that you want to be an honest consumer. By all means, dispute the TL and take the risk of it falling off. Hey...@ least that'll be "accurate".:lol: But honestly, doll...this TL is not harming your CR. It may not have been paid off, but it's reporting as such - a positive thing. I have a student loan reporting that was opened 2yrs b4 I even started college. It's paid/closed/never late; and do you think I disputed it? Of course not. It's helping ME.

However, if a CA/JDB is hounding you about this debt, then that's another issue. You did leave the state (and returned), so that could have tolled the SOL.

Thanks for the tip. I am new at this

However, you did mention that if I left the state (CA), the SOL might be "tolled". Well, I actually left the country for a job overseas. Any idea if that would affect my SOL and if so what would the the SOL for such a case.

Credit card was issued in CA.

You'll have a good defense to it not being tolled - overseas job - if you are to ever be sued. Do you know if they tried to serve you while you were away? But it's weird that AMEX is reporting this account as paid/never late. Who knows...maybe they have you in their system the same way. If that's the case, then they won't try to sue you. But I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they wanted to sue you, they would've done it by now. You can contact the courts just to make sure. If a CA contacts you about this account, you can either tell them that it's paid or that it's past SOL. For all you know, the SOL wasn't tolled and you have a great defense for it not to be.