what should my next step be?

wvfireman1634

Ive been figting this CA(National Service Bureau, aka Seattle Service Bureau) for over a year now, and this is where Im at.

I DV'd them Twice, no responce

Disputed though Credit bureau four times, verified everytime, and this is where it gets tricky. Every time I dispute it, it comes back verified with a different amount owed. The last time I disputed it came back verified and the duplicated the account so now I have two collections. Both accounts have the same account number, but different amounts owed.

I contacted the OC and made payment arrangement through them (hospital bills) and the collection accounts were supposed to be taken off, but wasn't.

Now it my understanding that changing the amount is illeagal so I contacted the state attorney general and gave them copies of my credit report that proves they changed the amount.

here is what I got back from the attorney general office:

Dear Ms XXXXX

The attorney generals consumer protection division received the enclosed responce from the above named buisness that your complaint has been resolved. If you are not satisfied with this resolution, please advice our office in writing..

and this is what the CA sent them:

RE: Jennifer XXXXXXX

Our office has received a copy of the complaint from JULIE XXXXX.

We have reviewed the file and have been in full compliance with the FDCPA.

It is now our decision to close and return this account to th original creditor.

All credit reporting will be deleted off her personal credit report and this account is now cancelled in our office

(note the name change from Jennifer XXXXX to JulieXXXX).

two days after I received these letters I was sent a copy of my credit report and It is still being listed on my report, and on the results of investigation section is reads:

Please be advised summersville hospital sold this account to SSB formerly known as NSB. therefore this account will remain on file for 7 years from the date of last activity, even if your are making payments directly to the hospital.

Ok so to sum up caught them breaking the law,

turned them in to attorney general

they told the attorney general that they would delete the account

then they verify the account.

what do you think I should do next??

Violations:

looks like multiple 623(a) violations

they have also committed multiple FDCPA violations

If you can get an attorney to take it, you could sue. if you can't find one, you need to learn the laws and do it yourself. Sometimes that is all they understand.

You've noticed one of the facts about debt collectors...for the most part,they're just not very thorough or concerned about accuracy. They don't have to be.

Most of the people they deal with will just get scared, roll over, and start coughing up money. The CA doesn't even have to keep accurate records of the money they receive...there's a good chance that the poor debtor won't notice.

But...if you're determined to fight back...they've given you ammunition to do it with. Will they care? Probably not...there's enough other suckers out there to make them a lot of money. Even if you take them to court and win (by no means guranteed...a lot of judges don't know or don't care about the laws involved), it won't stop them.

wvfireman1634: I'm not absolutely sure, but if I understand correctly, you only got the CR like 2 days after receiving the letter, right? If that's true, you might want to wait 30 - 60 days to see if the agreed changes are made. Most CR reporters only send off changes once a month or so...

If after waiting to make sure they've had time to update they still haven't changed anything, then yes, by all means, get back in touch with the AG. You might even want to just sue...

As was pointed out, it can take up to 45 days minimum for the process to work properly. What you can do is send a copy of the letter, highlighting the deletion part specifically, along with your own letter, asking the TL be deleted as described in the enclosed copy. Usually this is done within 10 days, but, can take up to the normal 30 days. Then, if you receive a copy of your CR and the item is still reported, move to next step with an ITS to the collector, and CC the AG.

what about the letter where the name was changed?

and this is what the CA sent them:

RE: Jennifer XXXXXXX

Our office has received a copy of the complaint from JULIE XXXXX.

We have reviewed the file and have been in full compliance with the FDCPA.

It is now our decision to close and return this account to th original creditor.

All credit reporting will be deleted off her personal credit report and this account is now cancelled in our office

(note the name change from Jennifer XXXXX to JulieXXXX).

Changing the name is certainly a mistake, and, if you had other violations against them, it should certainly be included in any law suit you'd bring. However, since they say they're going to stop trying to collect and send the debt back to the OC, any case you'd have against them is gone (assuming of course that they're not reporting on your CRs).