Advice from lawyer, should I take it?

ace22

Originally Posted by ace22

I have posted here a few times with regard's to my wife

having 4 strokes and is incapcitated.

Since the strokes, i get all mail and about a two weeks ago I get a copy of a judgment from a lawyer, c.a. telling me that a judgment was made against her back in 1998. I went to the courthouse for a copy of the judgment. She did sign it and it was won by the c.a. by default. Keep in mind, I did not know anything about this until the letter. She had kept it from me. Since the strokes she can not remember any of it. I called a lawyer friend of mine and he says lets just leave it alone for a couple of weeks and see what happens. He thinks they may be bluffing when they stated in the letter that

if I do not respond it may cost me more money. The juddment is for $3500.00, $1000.00 worth of interest and fees. I closed her bank account and her name is not on mine. But I will continue to worry about this, the lawyer said since she has no assets, but our home and I have quick deeded it, that we might could call the lawyer and offer $500.00 and they might accept that. In my state judgments are valid for 20 years and the interest will continue to accumulate. What would you do, try for the bargain price of $500 or just wait and see what the c.a. does. I am confused and with my wifes strokes this is just a huge burden on me. Any info would be appreciated and I am sorry this is so long. Thanks so much

If she has no assets and the house is not in her name, why would you care about paying it? I will tell you, if you quitclaimed after the judgment was entered, it may still be a problem for you.

I'd be more concerned what this CA is telling you. Just because there is a judgment doesn't mean they have to ignore the FDCPA.

Since the judgment was completed in 1998, I did quickclaim the home after that, I did it not long after I received the letter from the c.a. and their lawyer. But I actually started on the quickclaim after her strokes. I also had a power of attorney drawn up giving me the right to sign and speak for her. She signed it.

I just do not know if I want this thing to continue gaining interest, it has gone from 2300.00 to 3500.00 since 1998. Maybe I am worrying about nothing. Thnaks for your response. By the way, I am 67 and she is 66 years old. Ss

I think you are loosing your perspective here.

On a scale of 1 – 10 (10 being what you should be most concerned with), this judgment is about a .5 and your wife’s health and quality of life are a 10.

Concentrate on your wife and your future together. If a CA/Attorney contacts you, send a Cease and Desist letter which quickly outlines your wife’s situation (medical condition, no assets, etc). If they don’t go away after than then you may need to consult with an attorney but DON’T LET THIS STUPID JUDGMENT get you down.

Robert, I just want to say thank you. What you wrote me makes alot of sense and has settled me down a little. My wife means more to me than anything and I must place her # one and do not sweat the small things. I am her caregiver 24/7 and I also must stop letting things bother me. I do not know what she would do with out me and I need to watch my health. THANKS AGAIN