For The Legal Eagles!

I'm looking for those who want to share their opinions on something that has been bothering me for a while. Here goes:

California Civil Code 1785.26(B)©. The simple way to read is it says that any who report on a normal basis to CRA's, MUST, if reporting negative information, notify the consumer, in writing, within 30 days before or after information was reported. BUT, when you read further, it says that this may be included in monthly statements, or whatever, and worded in the description as "MAY".

My question is how does these two words with two totally different meanings mean the same thing when written in a law?

Nowhere can I find that "MAY" and "MUST" mean the same thing. If anyone can properly explain this, please do for all members who this may involve.

divemedic, that is my point exactly. I take it by your post you went to the site and read it yourself. It just doesn't make sense to me. It says it can be in any form, in a seperate letter, etc., but, where it says that they can use the verbiage "we may report negative information" just places the prior wording of "must notify" out the door, so to speak.

I'll admit that their reasoning may be that by notifying in a monthly statement, for example, that since you were late, we may report negative information, will suffice, as the consumer will know that due to their paying late, the OC has the right to report. I'll agree, BUT, if this is their main reasoning, then why bother to even place the word "must" in the law? It was always one of my biggest complaints while in College, when dealing with contradiction. I'm hoping one of the attorneys sees this and responds. Hopefully, they can decipher this to ease our mind.

To include, many creditors are using this same verbiage in their monthly statements or "Welcome to" letters, from all over the country, not just California.

Guest mikey
They "may" report if they choose to, but if they do, notice "must" be given in writing.

The required written notice "may" be given in any one of the approved methods.

this use of the ENGLISH language is simply written to protect them from anything down the road if the even they slip and miss something. sometimes items dont get reported but in the event they are on top of things and do report it, it Must be done in writing. i have seen this wording used several times where it one person MAY do something if they choose but then they MUST do something as a result. it is simply put, their choice if they want to. dont be hung up on an issue like this. you know if it said they MUST report something and dont, people would than think it was a violation in itself not to report it. ever heard of the phrase

"covering their xshakeitx "