Permissable Purpose?

On Friday, I was exposed to Bacterial Meningitis at work. As a result, I was sent to a local hospital for evaluation and prophylactic antibiotics. This was a Worker's Comp visit.

I pulled my CR to find that the hospital pulled my credit. Opinion: Is that legal? Did they have PP? It was s soft pull, so I am not taking a hit, but I do not want people poking around in my CR.

Not only do I think that they didnt have a permissable purpose, but I believe that they could be crossing the line of giving you care based on you credit. This does pay his bills, lets give him the best care we can. This guy doesnt pay his bills, lets just get him out of here as quick as we can and as cheap as we can.

I don't even think pulling for verification of SSN and address was legal. Your address is verified by producing your State issued identification card. This was a worker comp claim. So you have no liability at all. It is a 100% employer insurance liability. I can't see any permissable purpose for obtaining your report.

I'd send the hospital a certified letter asking them to explain themselves. Not mentioning any FCRA issues. Let them shoot themselves in the foot.

Why did my apartment leasing agency do a hard pull before they approved me?

I'm not applying for credit... if anything I have to pay rent on the *1st* of every month.

Because you are entering into a contract to pay a certain amount over time. If, for example, your monthly rent is $1000 a month, the lease is not really an agreement to pay $1000 each month. It is really an agreement to pay $12,000 in monthly installments. There is a definate difference. If you bail on month 3 you still owe the remaining $9000, just like any other kind of loan (you just don't get to keep the property).

Therefore, the landlord has a permissable purpose to check your creditworthiness to make sure you are not a risk at repaying the balance of the lease agreement. Technically you are applying for credit because of the installment payments. You can avoid the credit check by paying the entire lease in full, in advance. Then they have no reason to check your creditworthiness.

True. But I still believe it should be a soft inquiry...

why should my score drop because I'm moving to a new apartment? It has no connection with me looking for other types of credit like a CC.

While we are at it, why do banks do hard inquiries when you open a checking account? I'm GIVING them money.

I know it doesn't work this way, but i think it should...

apartments, utilities, insurance quotes and the like should either be soft pulls because it is way unfair to give you 4 inquiries a year just because you felt like moving.

OR

there should be a rule that anyone who pulls your CR to determine whether or not to do business with you, apt, bank.... so on...... should have to report their experiences with you, good or bad. it would be far more accurate that way anyway. cell phones, apts, utilities have never reported for me unless i defaulted.

you get instant bad history without the years of good history you may have had with that company to try to even it out.