When DV FAILS

trwil1

I have gone thru the steps of the DV and Dispute method. However my situation is kind of weird. I moved out of my apartment and called to have all utilies disconnected. All companies complied except for one. ANy way the light were never disconnected and the apartment complex continued to use the light a month after I left. The happened in 2004. I recently discovered this and Disputed the charge with not satisfaction. I contacted the APT. complex about the matter and they they have not been any help. The complex was sold and I was told by a lady in the office that all records was stored some place off of the property. I think that they are being to lazy to look for my lease agreement. When I spoke to the utiliy company they said all I need is to send them any knd of paper work that showed when I moved out of the apt. I trashed all of my old ail and paper in 2004. I did not think that I would need anymore. Any way does any one have any advice on what my next move should be. I am at the point I want to pay this off and move on. But I fear that this will damage my improving credit. Help please

the light company is doing the reporting. And I am not sure how to handle them for a PDF.

I can't move to another apt with a utiliy bill due and this old apt complex just won't help since they are under new ownership. I don't know what to do.

Maybe you could dispute it as I did not live at that address at that time. I think that they have to prove you were living there and that would include the apartment complex. Also, another route is to find the CEO of the apartment complex and call or better yet email the CEO and sometimes they will help.

A similar situation happened to my mother and I.

~L

• 2 weeks later...

If it is the creditor that is doing the collecting instead of a collection agency, then you cannot do DV...

But since this is a legitimate error, I would pester the apartment complex. I would send them a certified letter "every" month requesting your lease agreement. Keep at it on the phone...

However, here is the real question... How much of an outstanding debt is this? Are we talking about chump change or are we talking several thousands or tens of thousands of dollars...

The reason I ask is because is it really worth it to have your credit trashed just for chump change? A paid bad debt is bad and you lose points but an "unpaid" bad debt is so much worse and it is a deal killer for most future transactions for prime credit.

And besides, lots of people have experienced that it is far easier to get a "paid" collection removed from your credit report than it is for an "unpaid" account. That is because once a credit gets their money, they are no longer as determined to trash your credit...

So what is the amount of the electric bill that you are getting stuck with...