Paying old bill effects?

trwil1

I have a bill that I am having trouble resolving to prove that it is not mine. I am tired of fighting and I want to pay it off. My question is if I pay the bill which shows as an CO on my credit file, will it drop my score. I will only pay if they remove completely.

Does CO deletions react the same as when you close or have an old account deleted?

What all have you tried with this bill? I guess I'm just a stubborn goat, but I could never advise folks to pay what isn't theirs. Not when those funds could go to your actual bills. I've had a couple bills that weren't mine and in the end I had to report them to the various orgs (FTC, AG, BBB) and not to gloat, but it got them removed every time. So far, I think I've had to do this with 2-3 debts. One was a parking ticket on my repo'd car -car was legally repo'd when it received a parking ticket (6+ yrs back), a cell phone debt (AKA-Palisades RIP OFF) that I had never authorized and I had another, but I forgot what that one was.

Honestly, if you can't get them to delete it permanently (with signed paperwork to show for it) than there's no point in paying it because it will only stay on your credit reports. How old is this debt?

Someone once told me that paying it off will restart the process to (may be wrong, maybe someone else will know for sure) but that basically means they could report an additional 7 yrs.

Either way, it'd be reported as a "paid charge off" and this also isn't good for your credit score. If it truly is not yours, if you've gotten no positive results attempting to work with the original creditor AND/OR the CA (maintain your records regarding those conversations incl. dates/times/names) than definitely, go ahead to the three listed organizations to see if they can help you. JMHO.

Elyse